Login Sign Up

submission wrestling

Moderator: Forum Moderators

submission wrestling

Postby o-zone wrestler » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:12 pm

im 16 years old and ive been wrestling for about 2 years and i just started training submission wrestling 2 weeks ago in a local gym.i have a pretty good base from wrestling and im in pretty good shape from wrestling,and im pretty good at takedowns,etc.My question is how can i get better faster?Im currently training 2 days each of sambo and no gi jujitsu
o-zone wrestler
White Belt
White Belt

Re: submission wrestling

Postby Gurre » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:24 am

do what your instructor says...
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kensei » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:02 am

I always liked Plyometrics for speed development. Good for short bursts of training time, not so good over time. I found that alot of the athletes that I worked with did worse over time if they kept doing plyos. Work them in for a training cycle of 6-12 weeks then drop them for a while.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby o-zone wrestler » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:03 am

whats some things i can do for plyometrics?
o-zone wrestler
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:33 pm

I could go into it...but google it man their is a tone of great plyos sites out their. Suffice it to say that I would look at different kinds of plyos for different sports. I like High jumps for shooting in and of course practice sprints from a dead stop as well. Other than that google it. If you have some spacific questions I might be able to help with I would be happy to if you PM me.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby o-zone wrestler » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:29 am

ok thanks i appreciate that.i do have a few more questions
o-zone wrestler
White Belt
White Belt

Postby A2theJ » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:11 am

i wanted to ask a few things about Jits,

I'm happy with the way my skills are coming along and am about to being going to cassio 4-5 days a week for 6 months and i know i will improve greatly but right now im having trouble starting,
We start both from the ground and i know what to do when their in my guard and Vice Versa but i have trouble with that initial middle game ,if you will, where we are both grabbing at each other, U have any tips.
A2theJ
White Belt
White Belt

Postby DDale » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:44 am

My best advice...

1. relax and listen to the instructor.
2. work every session on your shrimping and guard pass.
3. Don't worry about getting tapped, if you have an ego about being tapped it will hold you back
4. Go for stuff. Even if you mess it up and end up underneath you will still have tried to get a sub, and besides now you can work on your bottom game :D

I find a lot of beginners spend the first 6 months trying desperately to keep as tight as possible and not going for anything because they don't want to get tapped. If you throw caution to the wind and just go for stuff (obviously in a technical way) you will progress much faster.

Luck,
Gods of War MMA Token Irish Dude.

Gods of War MMA Reading Berkshire
DDale
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Asa87 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:00 am

I wouldn't agree with going for subs left, right and centre. To start with I would highly reccomend position!just work on transitioning from position to next position and make sure everything is tight and you are controling their head on the ground and be concious of what you think they want to do next.

position over submission!
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Return to BJJ, Judo, Submission Wrestling & Wrestling