Login Sign Up

Texas Local Fight Results

Texas Local Fight Results

Postby Kim » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:43 pm

Last night was the first ever Battle of the Texas Titans Steele Cage matchups, produced by Hall of fame Referee Richard Steele. (http://www.StelleCageMMA.com) I'm just a local MMA fan whose waited for somebody to give the local fighting scene a boost. I've teased about contacting Dana White about having a UFC match in Dallas, Texas. Therefore, I was excited to find out that some Texas fighters were meeting in Frisco for a fight night. Anything to show Dallas' interest in the sport...maybe one day we can have UFC here. :lol:
Kim
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Re: Texas Local Fight Results

Postby Kim » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:30 pm

For interested Texans and others:

The evening of fights was over quite early considering none of the matches made it to the second round. Matter of fact, none of the fights made it to the end of the first round. I think the group has some work to do with audio with regards to microphone sound and to do with providing better camera angles on the screens. Sound during pre-fight interviews was great, but post fight interviews were garbled out of the microphone. However, overall I thought it was a good start for Frisco's scene. The fight card included several former UFC fighters and a couple of distinguished guests including Paul Buentello's promotion for Affliction. Here are the stats for the night...

Events were:

Sunia Filikitonga vs. Ralph Kelly - Filikitonga and Kelly's friendship and respect for one another was apparent in the ring as both men acted respectfully of one another's skills. Filikitonga kept better footing and dominated Kelly with a win within the first two minutes.

Joe Christopher vs. Clay Hantz - Although Hantz spoke well of Frisco, Christopher was clearly the crowd favorite before the fight. After his win 2 minutes and 22 seconds into the first round, Christopher gained more backing from the crowd after stating he fights to impress only his wife and to support his four daughters. Christopher was one of several fighters representing the group from North Texas Mixed Martial Arts.

As well stated by Ralph Kelly in his prefight interview, anybody could be the main event because you never know what will happen at fight night. So the remainder of the fight card was...

Pete Spratt vs. Alan Woods - this match up lasted the longest of the night with Spratt winning after 3 minutes 56 seconds.

Dan Christison vs. Joel Traves - In addition to his towering 6' 8" frame, Dan "The Sandman" Christison's skills also dominated Traves with the fight lasting 2 minutes 16 seconds.

Jarret Jones vs. Brian Maloncon - this was the first fight of the evening and set the pace with Maloncon defeating Jones in the first 15 seconds. It took the officials longer to wake up Jones than the actual fight lasted. I was impressed with the professionalism in the staff's attention to the fighter's safety prior to annoucement of the official results.

Chris Brooks vs. Justin Wenokur - both fighters are local which made for interesting prefight interview predictions. Brooks defeated Wenokur with a verbal tapout given that Wenokur's arms were too busy protecting his face to physically tapout after he had given up his back to Brooks.

Phillip Preece vs. Ryan Larson - Larson took this match in 2 minutes 52 seconds. For whatever reason, I think Larson is a fighter to watch, IMO.

Lodune Sincaid vs. Larry Hopkins - Sincaid took this match after 1 minutes 48 seconds. In his own words, Sincaid admit he looks like he was born to fight, busted up nose and all.

Larry Garcia vs. Rey Trijillo - this matchup found Trijillo knocking out Garcia in the first 26 seconds.

So as you can see, we saw all of about 18 minutes of fighting total. But that's the way it goes in the octogon sometimes, but it would have been nice to see more BJJ instead of mostly boxing. All in all, I was just happy to be at the fights live. Plus, we saved mega bucks and had the best view of the fights compared to the people with floor seats who kept turning around to watch the jumbo screen behind us.

(Quoted times should be rather close, but please excuse any errors as audio from the microphone wasn't great)
Kim
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby qwerty » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:07 am

so these are where the former TUF fighters who didn't make IT go.... glad they didn't give up fighting!
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kim » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:14 am

I guess we're taking the leftovers, glad to have anything. :D
Kim
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Jons » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:14 pm

Lodune is a fucking nut. He trained where I'm at but left when I just started. I recall him slamming vodka and chasing it with gatorade before training... Good to hear he is still fighting.
Jons
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Return to Boxing, Kickboxing & Muay Thai