Login Sign Up

The Kensei Karate work out journal

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: The Kensei Karate work out journal

Postby DisciplineHopes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:05 am

well i meant as far as nutritional value. are they the same just coke zero has the "full flavor" taste?
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby DisciplineHopes » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:20 am

yes, but so does diet
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:23 pm

Yes, they have no calories, but Zero is much better tasting.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby DisciplineHopes » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:42 am

thanks kensei, thats what i thought. same thing, different taste.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:32 am

Shadow wrote:I just caught a glimpse of my stomach. Man, the fat just kinda pops up. Looks like I will have to start the extra cardio and start cooking my own health meal if the wife won't or can't comply.

I dropped 10 pounds in two weeks changing my diet and re-entering the world of conditioning training. I have had a few set backs as far as training that I normally dont add to the training journal but it might help some of you who dont have a "extreme" Family life.
I began my training months back and had to off set it a bit because my daughter has several special needs disorders, as some of you know she has PCH2, CP and Micro Cephaly with a seizure disorder, so every time we end up at the Emerge with her I miss training and it is hard to get back on track.

However, I have a few goals that I have set up and altering my training to meet those goals starting this monday. first off I have my next level test for Karate coming up, mostly political but the physical part is an hour long test with tones of sparring against younger guys. The next is my blue belt in Jiu Jitsu that I want to challenge for. A goal I have had for a few months now, forgot to mention I started doing BJJ about six months ago and have a long way to go, but I want to include that as a main goal....and lastly I have always wanted to be a cop. So, I am going to get my hide back in shape to challenge the POPAT (police officers physical assesment test).

So, to do that I am going to have to get in shape, better than I am in...I dont like "passing" a test, I like DESTROYING it! Second the diet has to get better keyed in. So I know what you mean about you wife and cooking. I cook and it is lean meats with veggies, she cooks and it is pasta and cream sauce or stuffed peppers with fatty lamb and or tones of Rice in sauce. Time to get it on. I will post my new work out schedule and resluts as I go! Wish me luck y'all. :lol:

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:10 pm

my goal is to push my limits in cardio once a day, and then doing abs once a night!....Diet is killing me! I am working on it though!!!

Kensei

Postby DisciplineHopes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:24 am

yea diet is SOOOOO hard imo
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:56 pm

its the hardest part! I love training, dieting...not so much!

Kensei

Postby DisciplineHopes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:47 am

i dont necessarily mind it bc i have agreat metabolism and im not picky so i like all sorts of foods, healthy and not. thats the issue with me. i like healthy foods, but i like unhealthy foods equally as much.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:22 pm

I would have to say that all three and adding Weight training to that as well. Here is why.
Diet: This may seem a no brainer, but really as we have stated eating well is the hardest part of training and also for longevity the key is to avoid the "bad stuff" and work on getting good food into you. Not talking just weight loss which I could write three books on...I am talking health in general.
Stretching: As we get older ( personally I dont intend on getting "old") our muscles do begin to shrink and settle so to speak, if you do not challenge them to be longer you will drop flexibility fast. When I was 16 I was in gymnastics, used to get pictures of myself in the splits doing dumb bell curls...between two weight benches. At 20 I was still very active in Karate and could do the splits on the floor no problem. by 25 the splits were only after a bit of warm up and I did not feel natural in them anymore...I lost my big range of motion much like the ability to walk on my hands for 20 minutes. By 30 I could still do the side splits from a sitting possition and by 35 it was "tight" and I had to warm up alot. at 40 I could not really do the splits to well and the flexibility is starting to be a chore! Trust me keep the stretching going!
Cardio: A strong heart and lungs dont only serve you as an athlete but as you get older you want a strong heart and with a proper diet this will fend off many of the health issues that you see older people having in society. by keeping your Cardio up a bit you will also have more energy for other activities. Again keep it up, when I was younger I would walk 20K a day and run most of that to get around! When I could I rode my bike and I NEVER owned a Car! Now that I have a car and family I am relegated to running in the mornings at work before work...trust me my energy level is lower, I have gained a lot of weight and I used to go through a Karate class like it was nothing, now it is a challenge like other people have in class. Keep on jogging or walking when young and make it part of who you are and what you do!
Weights: As you get older you lose muscle mass and power. Even tasks like opening doors at the mall will be a challenge and ladies should work upper body all the time. Trust me some of my elderly clients would be put on weight trianing right off the bat when I ran my own clinic. Weight training also lets you burn more fat and keeps your metabolism higher.

If I was pushed to say which combo is the most important it would be this: Diet and Cardiovascualar training. But the importance changes. As a younger athlete the improtance of stretching and Weight training is hight, cardio training more to prepair for an event. Stretching is great but depending on style it can be secondary. Middle aged goats like me need cardio and diet with flexibility trianing if we want to be active. Older people need just the cardio and diet. The stretching is not as improtant and weight training should be restricted to medium weights and only as a tool to maintain muscle and strength.

Long story short....the requirements for people changes with goals, age and training phase...I am a big believer in periodization training.

Kensei

Postby DisciplineHopes » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:34 am

yes i am under 25 and thats why im taking advantage of it now lol before its too late.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:06 pm

I would say that weight training is last, but not UNIMPORTANT. I would have to say that Cardio and diet are first actually, then Stretching! I would say however that a training program should reflect your goals first!

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:05 am

this is one drop set...First you start with a bicep curl exercise. Pick up a 35 pound dumb bell and curl it a minimum 12 times...put (Drop) that dumb bell and grab a 25 pound dumb bell...curl it a minimum 12 times, (drop) that dumb bell and pick up the 15 pound dumb bell and curl it as many times as you can, drop that one and grab a 5 pounder and do the same! NO rest between each movement and drop. Do this one time to see how it works...rest and stretch for two minutes and move on to the next set of the SAME THING...I would wager that no one here would be able to do the drop sets three or four times and not feel as though the muscle was RIPPED TO HELL!

Kensei

Postby DisciplineHopes » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:58 am

pssshhhh....got it covered.

seriously thoguh i think i could handle a couple rounds, maybe 3.well i could do the first set but after the first set id be burning.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:00 pm

The other day I did my chest and I feel really sore. At the time I felt kind of sick but the drops were awsome, the burn was their and the muscles felt rubbery. Now however they DO NOT FEEL LIKE RUBBER!!!

Kensei

PreviousNext

Return to Workout Journals