Login Sign Up

TKD and Kickboxing

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

TKD and Kickboxing

Postby Rossi » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:52 am

Iv decided to go back to TKD im 16 and il be in collage in 2 years so im thinking if i do TKD for years it will set me up for kickboxing in collage .. i would do kickboxing if i could now but there is no kickboxing in my area so im waiting til collage .

So would TKD be a good base to move into kick boxing?
Rossi
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Re: TKD and Kickboxing

Postby C3RTIFI3DxNOVA » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:41 am

im not sure i kick box a lot but im not sure if TDK would be a good start
C3RTIFI3DxNOVA
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Souldragon » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:33 am

Well it isn't bad but if you wanted to really get ready for kick boxing and already have some experience with TKD you might want to try doing some boxing or maybe even Karate as it gives you more experience with using your hands as you will need that more for kickboxing and in my experience most TKD schools focus way heavily on the kicks more then anything. Boxing would probably be your best bet though as I just recently started training Muay Thai with some guys here at my college and the hardest thing for me learning the hooks and some what the Uppercuts and using the more open stance as those are things you really don't get in Karate or TKD.
Souldragon
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:55 pm

I agree with Souldragon. I did kick boxing and the only reason I did well was my boxing and Karate was top notch! I blasted threw a few TKD guys that had good kicks but only sports style. Work your hands more and dont miss out on the great kicking that TKD has, but be realistic. Try to use great kicking in sparring and not the tip tap shit that you normally see in TKD.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Ogbai » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:47 pm

I train in TKD and we also train in punching, so have a fairly good kick boxing base.I guess it depends on the school and instructor.
Ogbai
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:18 pm

most of the TKD I have seen dont allow punching to the head or face. other than that you could see the benefits of their kicking training.

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Tue May 19, 2009 4:48 am

I would take up Kyokushin Karate over TKD if you are looking for a bit more impact in your TKD. They also have the silly "no face punches" rules but they really nail eachother. Great way to get ready for kick boxing.

Kensei

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu