Login Sign Up

TKD vs. Capoeira

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:37 am

I do not think so. Aliens landed at that time....
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Gurre » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:45 am

..huh?
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:33 am

steve sand Boxing originated in England and you said Wind Milling also, so I responded by saying, "I do not know. Aliens landed about that time." Meaning...
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby tabloid » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:13 pm

hmmm.. this thread is bizarre. When you say Capoeira are you referring to Regional or Angola? And for anyone to say it's not effective, you have never seen anyone competent in the style. Don't confuse the ceremony of the roda w/ the application of the " real " thing. Like any other defense art: when attacked you go back to the basics and leave the flash for practice. Capoeira has some vicious elbow strikes and sneeky kicking angels. I would recomend looking for information on Joe Grande
tabloid
White Belt
White Belt

Postby stevebags » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:26 pm

Thai boxing has vicious elbow strikes as for caperioa being practical lets be realistic, lets have a look at the real self defence people in the world ie geoff thompson etc and see how much they have trained in the art either Angolan or regional. Probably never, and theres a reason for that
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."

http://www.myspace.com/stevebaggaley
stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ad baculam » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:41 pm

The romans had boxing in the army before they reached britian. Of course it really wasn't the same as modern boxing. Maybe modern boxing originated in britian.

Oh, and on the topic of the thread, style is just what you do with it, i'm sure there are caperioa practitioners who could kick my ass, and some who i would make look infants.
ad baculam
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby tabloid » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:36 pm

When talking about defending against an attack, chances are you aren't facing a truly experienced fighter ( some one who trains daily). The Capoeira practitioner is probably not going to win any "open" tournaments, but I have seen it used in a bar fight; which is where most unplanned fighting takes place. There were no hand-stands of cart-wheels, but it did proove effective. The thing that impressed me was the persons ability to control the distance and avoid the clinch, kind of an exagerated "bob & weave".
tabloid
White Belt
White Belt

Postby tabloid » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:23 am

the thing about combat is that you always revert back to the basics. When it's for real, no one is doing anything crazy like a shuffle jumping back kick or a malandro ( the one armed hand stand kick that made Capoeira famous ). In combat you stick with the basics... If anything it's because those are drilled the most, and have the most stabile weight distrobution.
tabloid
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Pieman88 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:20 pm

theres a muay thai vs capoeira fight but it was in a film so not much to go by but fun to watch search for it on video google
Pieman88
White Belt
White Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:21 pm

Pieman88 wrote:theres a muay thai vs capoeira fight but it was in a film so not much to go by but fun to watch search for it on video google

Yes, it is one of Tony Jaa's movies.
- E. Cates

- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Looks like I'm the only capoeirista here.

Postby Amos the Talented » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:30 am

For the record, an Aú Batido is the kick performed on one hand.
A "malandro" is something totally different. It's like some sort of Brazilian Robin Hood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malandragem

Personally, I think capoeira is very effective. It is a martial art not designed to win, but more to survive. I do agree that before anyone can dismiss capoeira as a "dancer's fight style", try to take a class or two. I'm sure you'll be surprised at the strength therein.
Amos the Talented
White Belt
White Belt

Postby JimmysEgo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:50 am

if i was fighting a capoeira guy, i would just break the radio so they guy couldn't fight anymore.
JimmysEgo
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby bajanm » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:19 pm

Hi everyone

I do capoeira but my comment is not about capoeira but about the elitist notion that all arts are Asian in origin. There are many civilization over the world, some (like the ones in Africa) are older than the ones in Asia. It is down right illogical to think that all arts are Asian in origin. I would say that Capoeira is not the least bit Asian.

Don't dis Capoeira so fast. Remember capoeira is more than simply a MA and some people focus much more on the game and dance and ignore the fight.

I must say one thing, if you truely think that all MA is Asian then you mind is way too narrow.
bajanm
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Kai » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:57 am

now, as a note....
I agree with the original statement, that capoeira is can be ineffective when only it is practiced.
but when coupled with a knowledge of vale tudo and bjj, it's techniques are quite effective
Kai
White Belt
White Belt

Re: TKD vs. Capoeira

Postby natural_HI » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:14 pm

Shadow wrote:Would that be cool to watch Capoeira vs. TKD. They both have a lot of fancy/crazy moves? Has anyone seen Capoeira vs. some other art in a tournament or in real life? I always hear Capoeira getting dogged; I would like to see it for myself.

Kinda on the same subject, there was some movie about a teacher who taught some H.S. kids Capoeira to keep out of trouble. It suppose to have been a true story. Anyone know the name of the movie.

The "Quest," with Van Damme had it in it. The real thing probably wanted be the cool. It was Monkey Kung Fu vs. Capoeira, I was enetertained. The movie sucked thought.

I don't know if anyone answered your question yet but the The name of the movie you are talking about is called "Only The Strong" starring Mark Dacascos. It's just a movie and is not based on a true story. The tagline of the movie is "The Ultimate Martial Art." I absolutely do not agree with that at all. Capoeira is a cool dance/fight thing to watch and do but it is not the ultimate martial art and definitely not good for self defense.
natural_HI
Green Belt
Green Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu