Login Sign Up

TKD vs. Capoeira

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

Postby corvo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:08 am

No, no dancing in Capoeira. It looks like a dance to some. But you don't ussualy kick nor throw down your dance partner, do you. The Game is played to music, though. Perhaps thats why some think it's dancing. Do you thing Muai Thai boxing is a dance as well? Cause they fight to music also.... :lol:
to each, his own
corvo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:25 pm

I have seen both aspects of Capoeira. But I will be honest and tell you the most I have seen is the dancing aspect. I know a few that actually take the combat side of the art, and I know a few that take Capoeira for health.

Well they do not call it "Brazilian Dance Fighting" for nothing...
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby corvo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:02 pm

GrappleorWrestle wrote:I have seen both aspects of Capoeira. But I will be honest and tell you the most I have seen is the dancing aspect. I know a few that actually take the combat side of the art, and I know a few that take Capoeira for health.

Well they do not call it "Brazilian Dance Fighting" for nothing...

That is funny, GW!

But no one calls it "Brazilian Dance Fighting". only the clueless would call it that. Is what you do, called, 'Homo Hey riding"? I think not.

GW, i have given you the benafit of dought. But now I'm seing more of a clown, then a Martial Artist. I hope you are not living up to the 99% steriotype of those from the south of the U.S. of A!

"In the world of the blind, the one eye, is king"
to each, his own
corvo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:30 pm

Well, it could be called "Homo Hey riding" by someone some where. I do not know what people call ir on the other side of my state, let alone the world.

As I have said before I can only comment on what I have seen or been told. And when the dojo/gym says "Come take Capoeira, The Art of Brazilian Dance Fighting" I have to take their word for it. Not to mention there are quite a few interviews online with practitioners of Capoeira calling it "dance fighting" or saying it's "dancing and fighting combined."

Nice touch throwing personal insults. That always helps.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby The Jonzz » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:02 am

I may be blind or just an idiot because I know that Capoeira is a dance martial art..
"Filipino Pride..."
The Jonzz
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby JimmysEgo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:38 am

i know if you turn the music off then they cant fight anymore. it's like their kryptonite.
JimmysEgo
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby The Jonzz » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:27 pm

haha.. LOL..

I was thinking corvo's talking about the capoeira's supposed kicking strength.. without the dance?
"Filipino Pride..."
The Jonzz
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby corvo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:41 am

Wow!

I hope these posts are not representative of the level of dialoged on these boards.

GW, My last post was not an attack on your character. But they do reflect my opinion on what you have posted in response to my posts here. Thus far you have only stated your ungrounded opinion. You have little to no actual experience with Capoeira. Your two friends opinions are irrelevant , since we know noting about them, where they trained, nor for how long.

My coming here is to help correct some peoples misconceptions about Capoeira. But I guess only you guys can do that yourselfs.

Mahalo, Corvo
to each, his own
corvo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby corvo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:48 am

Now getting back to the tread.
Since this is a theoretical encounter between a Capoeirista and a Tae Kwon Do practitioner. It would help to understand the main training characteristics and the perspective goals of each of these fighting forms. I have trained in both of these forms, though my TKD experience is that of Old school TKD (Gen. Choi, 7 yrs) And Capoeira Regional-16+ yrs....

Both styles (generally) have some things in common. They use more kicks then they use hand techniques. They both use spinning movements and tactics to apply some of their strikes. They both use primarily gross motor skills in their movements as apposed to fine very well define motor skills/techniques. They both use re-directing strikes and countering tactics…

Now most Tkd schools have gone toward specific sport rules. So that a great many schools train primarily toward this type of sport event. In Capoeira, there are many styles, like in Karate. Some groups are more traditional, and some train only toward the game (roda). There is a tendency in this type of discussion, to over simplify the outcome. Often based on very bias notions…

“Though we all know by now, that it’s not the art, but the best prepared artist that will win any fight.”

We often still ask, who do you think will win, between styles?

Though I see this as a legitimate question for our better understanding of said fighting forms. We tend to not really look at how each style trains to fight, and against who. From what I have seen Tkd does not train to fight some one like Capoeira. but most Capoeira groups train to deal with styles like Tkd.
to each, his own
corvo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby JimmysEgo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:39 pm

like how the Gracies group trained to deal with Sakuraba?

What about Tae Kwon Do against a Cha-Cha dancer?
JimmysEgo
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby corvo » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:44 pm

it's hard to say, I hear those Cha-Cha, Cha dancers can be quite tricky. :lol:
to each, his own
corvo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby corvo » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:14 am

here are some of our takedowns you might like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSNJBdOWGhY

From Capoeira Regional, Mestre Bimba.
to each, his own
corvo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby MichaelTadashi » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:43 pm

corvo wrote:From what I have seen Tkd does not train to fight some one like Capoeira. but most Capoeira groups train to deal with styles like Tkd.

No martial art will teach you how to deal with any other martial art.
It's up to the fighter. Fight smart, and not fight hard.
Tony Jaa showed you how in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moReN9l2ap0
Muay Thai didn't teach him how to deal with Capoeira, but he soon found out the weakness of Capoeira - the supporting arm/leg and the rhythmic movement.
A good martial art practitioner knows how to use his advantages and protect his disadvantages.
But a even better practitioner knows how to attack the opponent's weaknesses.
Finally, the best practitioner will know that one single style is not enough in real fight. A good martial art will leads you to the ultimate universal philosophy of self defense and counter attack.
MichaelTadashi
White Belt
White Belt

Previous

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu