Login Sign Up

TKD vs. Capoeira

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

Postby stevebags » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:33 am

I saw Mestre Hulk v Mark Kerr and hulk got smashed to pieces, not many capoeira practioners compete in mixed fighting events, unless they train in other disciplines as its very one dimensional
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."

http://www.myspace.com/stevebaggaley
stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby malaclypse » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:13 pm

stevebags wrote:I saw Mestre Hulk v Mark Kerr and hulk got smashed to pieces, not many capoeira practioners compete in mixed fighting events, unless they train in other disciplines as its very one dimensional

yeah I remeber something similar from the first free fights... Capoeira isn't that good against experienced martial artists.... btw, the only things TKD lacks are:
1. decent fists
2. decent upper defense
3. strenght in the kicks

Something TKD has as a major Pro:
F**k*** awsome SPEED Kicks!

Too bas TKD lacks defense ability and power
LMFM: Lean Mean Fat Machine
malaclypse
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Gurre » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:40 am

yeha that's true. Theri kicks are fast but they don't carry enough power.
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stevebags » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:16 am

i think we are all agreeing is that TKD is more for sport and point scoring than in real combat
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."

http://www.myspace.com/stevebaggaley
stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Gurre » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:31 pm

oh yeah
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby High kick = Nap time » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:44 am

Shadow wrote:What about the hard core style taught in Korea, or the military TKD? Have you seen those guys, I don't think there weak.

TKD bashing seems common:I was first in line. With all that being said, I still can and do agree with most if not all that you said above, but I know about it only being suited for point tournaments. It just there tournament system sucks. That one point hit then stop, or coulda-woulda point technique is horrible to test your skill, but is that a reason to conclude that is TKD is score point style, not worthy of true combat?

So, is it that you think it is unstreet worthly to the average Joe or to a practioner of another other art?

yes and no, I'm a true stand up fighter with a base in TKD. Anyone who says TKD kicks aren't strong hasn't seen what I've seen. While the head kicks aren't as powerfull as Muay Tai (mostly because we're not taught to follow through, but rather snap the foot out and bring it back) all of our spinning head kicks are KO quality. Also I took the speed of TKD high kicks and learned to follow through spinning around with a backfist right outta my Kempo training. People sleep on TKD and dog it. It's true that in style vs. style combat it's not as effective as Muay Tai, however saying it's not a combat style is inaccurate. I've put many people on the floor with a spinning side kick to the solar plexus, put people to sleep with spinning hook kicks to the head. There ARE very strong and usefull techniques in TKD. I had to unlearn some of the unusefull points of it and keep the usefull ones.

Also as I said in another thread TKD does lack hand strikes, but my school was the exception that proves the rule having a master that was a 6th dan in TKD 1st dan in Hap Ki do and had been training boxing for 10 years he taught us TKD with boxing strikes and a lil bit of Hap Ki Do grappling.

1. decent fists
2. decent upper defense
3. strenght in the kicks

Something TKD has as a major Pro:
F**k*** awsome SPEED Kicks!

I agree that TKD lacks hand strikes and defense, but I can't disagree more about powerfull kicks, my kicks put people to sleep and I've been sent to la la land from TKD head kicks. You're dead on about the fast kicks though.
...Ill crack your fucking head wide open in front of everybody. And just about the time when I'm coming out of jail...hOpefully...you'll be coming out of your coma. And guess what, Ill split your fucking head open again.
High kick = Nap time
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:04 am

We have a student awhile back that came from a TKD school. He was talking about how ineffective most of the techniques that they taught were. Plus he went on to tell us the history of TKD and how it was first used for fighting people on horseback, so now days most of the techniques are not practical. But mentioning talking about kicks; he does have some powerful kicks. He has broken 3 cups that I know of.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby High kick = Nap time » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:55 am

GrappleorWrestle wrote:We have a student awhile back that came from a TKD school. He was talking about how ineffective most of the techniques that they taught were. Plus he went on to tell us the history of TKD and how it was first used for fighting people on horseback, so now days most of the techniques are not practical. But mentioning talking about kicks; he does have some powerful kicks. He has broken 3 cups that I know of.

Yes the high kicks were developed to fight the Japanese Samurai, the most effective of these kicks being the flying side kick. board and stone breaking was training to bust through their armor. Originally it was developed to fight large animals, then was adapted to fight Japanese on horseback. I agree and I said earlier that alot of the techniques are unusefull, but the ones that are usefull are VERY usefull. Probably most of all the reverse side kick to the body, if it lands it hurts far more than a knee or kick. The trick is being fast enough to land it.

and ROFL 3 cups? He's a nOOb, but a strong kicking nOOb. Guess he never learned how to accurately place his kicks, I'll pray for ya next time ya spar em brotha!! =P
...Ill crack your fucking head wide open in front of everybody. And just about the time when I'm coming out of jail...hOpefully...you'll be coming out of your coma. And guess what, Ill split your fucking head open again.
High kick = Nap time
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:59 pm

Hah. I have not had to spar with him in almost two years. He does not spar me for some reason. Plus he is bit of a hot head and I do not like to spar with those people.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby High kick = Nap time » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:31 pm

I don't get pissed when I spar, I only get pissed when someone dissrespects me for the most part. If you taunt me while we spar I'll get a bit heated but not if you rock my jaw or knock the wind outta me. BTW what discipline do you train with him in? Muay Tai or Kick boxing I assume since he shouldn't be doing any kicking in wrestling or BJJ LoL.
High kick = Nap time
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:48 pm

Haha. Isshinryu Karate is what we do standup in, but we also take the same Shingitai Jujitsu class. The only thing I do not like is that he likes to be seen or talk about how he did things. He is loud when it comes to this. I cannot tell if he actually needs to be told he did a good job, or just likes for people to hear it. But I cannot stand it.
- E. Cates

- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby High kick = Nap time » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:36 pm

What is the difference between Shingitai Juijitsu and BJJ? Also I have a great deal of respect for Isshinryu Karate as it's creator Soke Tatsuo Shimabuku trained with the creator of the Gojuryu style and arguably the best Shorinryu Karate fighter of his time Choki Motobu. Anyone who can develop a new fighting system from what he's learned from those 2 systems of Karate and then Impress those 2 men to the point that they acknowledged it as it's own style has my utmost respect.
High kick = Nap time
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:46 am

The way I hear some people tell the difference is that Shingitai Jujitsu incorporates striking and grappling while BJJ incorporates ground fighting. But for more information go to the following link:

http://web.utk.edu/~utmaclub/juji/history.php
- E. Cates

- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby High kick = Nap time » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:46 am

Thx
High kick = Nap time
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Gurre » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:05 am

aye...
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu