Login Sign Up

VERA SIGNS CONTRACT EXTENSION W/ UFC!

Moderators: Sub-Zero, Forum Moderators

VERA SIGNS CONTRACT EXTENSION W/ UFC!

Postby FEDORisGOD » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:41 pm

http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=3519

By Loretta Hunt (loretta@thefightnetwork.com)

Heavyweight contender Brandon Vera has signed an extension with the Ultimate Fighting Championship with plans to complete the remaining fight on his existing contract with the Las Vegas-based organization as soon as he is able to.

Vera’s existing contract slated his last fight take place in May, but the fighter was granted the extension by Zuffa LLC., owners of the UFC, to work out legal issues with his current management. Vera, 29, plans to renew his contract with the UFC afterwards.

“I want to stay with the UFC,” the Virginia native said today. “They have some of the best fighters in the world. It’s an amazing stable of fighters and the who’s who of the MMA world. ‘Cro Cop’ [Mirko Filipovic] is a big factor for me wanting to stay. He’s the number-two guy in the world.”

Vera (6-0) knocked out former UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir (9-3) at Nov. 18’s UFC 65 in Sacramento, but has not competed since. Rumored as the next challenger to then heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia’s crown, Vera began renegotiations with the organization but a new contract agreement was not reached at the time.

On Tuesday, Zuffa LLC. publicly announced the purchase of their leading rival in PRIDE Fighting Championships, a move that could inadvertently bolster the UFC’s heavyweight ranks substantially in the near future.

POSTED -- 03/28/07
FEDORisGOD

Postby Kensei » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:26 pm

yah, he better sign and eat a bit of shit now, or he is gone from serious MMA for a while. I mean it looks like UFC is going to be the only game in town for big shows...UFC/PRIDE.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby JimmysEgo » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:35 pm

he should have been a good boy, then he would have got a shot at tim. now he has to wait his turn and it will be against someone much better than tim.
JimmysEgo
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby FEDORisGOD » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:49 pm

Whatever, now with UFC's purchase of Pride we might see Vera vs. Shogun!

That would be unreal.
FEDORisGOD

Postby qwerty » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:55 pm

I guess he wants Cro Crop! :)
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Minatour » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:25 am

Skeen, thats good news, Vera should be a good force, I'd like to see him fight Sylvia next, or possibly Ben "The Traceur" Mitchem.
Minatour
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Minatour » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:27 am

Vera vs Sylvia would be good, I see Vera battering him on his feet then taking him down and gnp'ing him or submitting him when he's rocked. OL TYT FIGHT FACTORY AND AFS.
Minatour
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Kensei » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:36 pm

after all the BS I would not be suprised if Vera is seen next in the WEC or the UFC Farm league.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby donovan99 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:52 am

When you say: "Vera vs Sylvia would be good, I see Vera battering him on his feet then taking him down and gnp'ing him or submitting him when he's rocked. OL TYT FIGHT FACTORY AND AFS."
Are you talking about Wanderlei Silva?

I think Wanderlei has much more experience than Vera (Vera has only 8 pro fights). And despite being knocked down on his last Title defense, Wanderlei had successfully defended his title 4 times!!!
Does Vera's have such career accomplishments?
donovan99
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Reymode » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:24 am

donovan99 wrote:When you say: "Vera vs Sylvia would be good, I see Vera battering him on his feet then taking him down and gnp'ing him or submitting him when he's rocked. OL TYT FIGHT FACTORY AND AFS."
Are you talking about Wanderlei Silva?

I think Wanderlei has much more experience than Vera (Vera has only 8 pro fights). And despite being knocked down on his last Title defense, Wanderlei had successfully defended his title 4 times!!!
Does Vera's have such career accomplishments?

No dude, they were talking about Tim Sylvia "Skidmark" (the tall outshape fighter that lost to Randy Couture) not Wanderlei Silva.
Last edited by Reymode on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reymode
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby donovan99 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:07 am

Ok, Im an idiot then :(
donovan99
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Reymode » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:56 am

donovan99 wrote:Ok, Im an idiot then :(

You're not an idiot, common mistake. Slyvia, Silva, it's all the same :wink:
Reymode
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby silvafan87 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:51 am

Ive HEard Vera will fight on UFC 72 against Shogun at 205.Just a rumour though and Have no other source other then reading it on a forum similar to this one.Has anybody else heard this?
silvafan87
White Belt
White Belt

Postby bigT » Thu May 24, 2007 2:02 pm

I have heard that shogun did sign with the UFC and he could POSSIBLY fight at UFC 72. Not heard anything about an opponent though.
PASSION RULES REASON
bigT
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to News