Login Sign Up

what are some good supplements

what are some good supplements

Postby wood52 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:36 pm

I have started training, got my diet on track(for the most part), and have dropped 15 lbs in a month. When I started i was 230 and with just a few changes in my diet and traing three days a week and working out(cardio, weights) three nights a week I have dropped to 215. After dicussing it with the coaches I am training with 185 is the weight they think I would do best at. They think I will be a very big 185. I am looking forsome info on supplements that could help me.
wood52
White Belt
White Belt

Re: what are some good supplements

Postby Kensei » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:46 am

how are height and age a factor in taking suplaments? Okay I give you age, if you are older you should not be trying to get RIPPED beyond the norm. But other than that what is height have to do with it.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby wood52 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:27 pm

I am 27 and6'0 tall. But I carry alot of muscle mass already. I have 15.3% body fat. I lift low weight and high reps. Not really trying to get bigger. Just want to keep what muscle I have while still losing weight. Any help is greatly appreciated.
wood52
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:59 am

Shadow, I work in the insurance industry right now...but once upon a time I was a Athletic therapist that worked with CFL team members Canadian Track athletes and Members of the Manitoba diving assn. I know what you are saying, But unless you get him in to a "sink tank" and do as much of a physical work up on him asking him his age, weight and height is kind of like asking him what kind of Dog he has! Supplements do work slightly different with different people and goals are all different. I totally agree with you that the first steps should always be natural and the last steps should be NATURAL. I have seen way to many athletes throw their lives and or money away on the quick fix that either did not work and sucked the money out of their wallets, money they did not have to much of, or in one case killed them.

In my oppinion, and we can dance with the different studies that support or dont support this, cardio does not decrease muscle! It may actually increase specific muscle group size and I only say that because I have seen it in sprinters that were hard core weight junkies and sprinters that were hard core against weights.

I have seen every twist in Diet in the last 30 years come along and every single one states that they are the next best thing and then Go WAY WAY To far in one direction. You sound like you have your diet dialled in and that is great. As for the six meals a day, it works for some, others feel to sluggish all the time to work out. They have a slower digestive system for some reason and even drinking a few meals a day ends up causing them to not be able to produce in the gym.

My suggestion is four meals a day to start, cut the crap out of your diet. All fried foods, especially deep fried foods, are OUT. One guy that tried out and got a run at the bombers used to have a friend of his punch him in the nuts every time they went buy a burger joint he was eyeing up. This I DO NOT SUGGEST, but for him the old pavlovian technique worked for him, but he probably still cant look at a big mac with out having his nuts hurt!

Cut out the processed foods, like Breads, pastas and anything WHITE! Even rice! Brown rice (while horrible to eat) whole wheat breads and pastas are okay in moderation but anything white is bad...according to a sprinter that I once trained, a dietician he worked with years ago suggested that.

Dont drink juices, to many hidden calories, avoid POP in any form, Eat a crap load of raw or steamed veggies and get your fruit in twice a day.

Those are all things that worked for guys that I trained with, and by the way...I was not the physical trainer or the dietician, I was the guy that worked with injuried athletes so I never suggested any of this, MD's and other proffesionals did.

And again, asking a guy his height and weight before suggesting he take Brand A of a Protein shake or brand D of a thermogenic over a web site....I still dont see how IMPORTANT that is. I respect that you are trying to help, as am I, but respectfully, unless you know him and do a work up.....Kind of like asking him what kind of Dog he has. He could lie or he could have some underlying medical condition that you miss with your " how tall are you" question.

Wood: before you listen to any of us goofs on the internet, And I whole heartedly include myself in that, Go get a check up and get your Heart checked out by a MD before you start fucking around with what you put in your system......

And what kind of Dog Do you have???

Kensei

Postby Asa87 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:11 pm

Here's some of my favourites:

Brown Bread
Chicken
Chicken
Brown Rice
Whole Wheat Pasta
Chicken
Halibut
Vegetable Cous Cous
Wild Rice
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:04 am

Shadow wrote:I don't think your getting it. The age, weight and height were asked in regards to the weight loss (I initially questioned if dropping down to his desired weight was a good idea, is it just for a match then its back up). You know having too low of body fat percentage is bad in the long run (fighters and wrestlers do it for fight weight in - then on passing gain back some weight).

That's great you were a theripist, but it does make you right. Just like me not being one, doesn't make my words any less true. I suggested 6 meals a day, because eating 3-4 hours regularly will raise the bodies metabolism, any less my not do this. Also, the problem with only eating 4 times a day, is battling the urge to doing the longer periods of hunger. The longer the gaps, the more one wants to eat.

I missed your intentions, my bad. I was going on the fact that he was geting in shap only.
My training makes me more experienced and better read. Your theories are not unsound however. But your idea that my haveing 8 years behind me is less important than someone who skims muscle and fitness is silly. It is like going to a emerg. and telling the MD that you read a book once on how to set bones...and try to tell him his job. I do not agree with some of the stuff you said...difference is I back it up with practical experience and "book lern'in". I am not going to engage in an argument or even a conversation with someone saying their "ideas" are more sound than a few well paid for studies...sorry!

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:37 pm

Shadow wrote:No need to be sorry! Yeah, a better read if you like hearing someone blow their own horn (quite frequently). I don't know about the others, but I like short and concise. Granted sometimes, the little is useful. When I want a good read, I'll pull out a good book, not a Kensei post which seems like one sometimes (length wise). I lost weight myself and helped others do so. Just because I don't have a job doing doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about, just like your past job doesn't mean you do, and of course vise via. Get of your horse.

"Get of your horse" I am not "ON" my high horse...or any horse for that matter. I am simply pointing out that not knowing someone personally it is hard to see what kind of back ground they have, an education is a standard to use as a way of evaluating the information and source that the information is comeing from. I, by the way, was not poking fun at you and not having had a bit of schooling in a specific area. I am a big proponent of "time in" and " on the job training" as it were. If you have found success and have helped others do so that is great. but the science behind what you did....was probably written by someone with a useless education like mine...in a book that said the same things my "book" like posts say. So lets not act ignorant and attack others for having longer posts. I simply enjoy sharing. I could use a bit of self editing for posts, but I dont think I want to invest that much time in a post on a internet forum. If you dont wish to read my posts then dont, I personally dont give a hoot!

Now, as for attitude and the rest of the members, I get along well with everyone here, with a few exceptions. I have never had anyone insult my posts saying they are to long and going to the effort of being rude as you have. Now that might just be how I took it, but it was a cheap and childish kind of attack....actually kind of despirate.

I promise to not bug you about your lack of education because I respect your ability and progress if you promise to simply skip over my posts and not let them annoy you anymore. I would feel bad thinking I am forcing you to read a bit more than you would by picking up a muscle mag. Like I said, feel free to skip my posts and not share any thoughts with me...it is your right.

Kensei

Postby DisciplineHopes » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:20 pm

wow guys. you two like havin a daily "argubate" dont you lol.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:29 pm

Well, this is the first time he has said he did not like my posting ext. and the first time he was rude. Normally we just debate a bit and that is it. I think he had a bad day!

Kensei

Postby DisciplineHopes » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:25 am

i agree. it usually doesnt make it that far.it happens. probably will at some point in time again.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:57 am

DisciplineHopes wrote:i agree. it usually doesnt make it that far.it happens. probably will at some point in time again.

Nah, once you act like a dick...I generally stop debating! No fun haveing a friendly back and forth when the other person turns out to be not so friendly. That is why I get along with 90% of the people here...friendly and a bit less rude. But like I said one bad day, eh!

Kensei

Postby DisciplineHopes » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:03 am

yea a bad day more than likely. i understand where your coming from. it does seem that he can sometimes misconstrue some things stated but so can anyone else. im always up (or down) for a good debate as well fyi lol.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kaltblitz94 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:47 pm

I think ya'll should get in a ring, and stop the trash talking. Settle it like men.
Kaltblitz94
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:19 am

Shadow wrote:So, I'm desperate and childish. Desperate for what, desperate for a reply (don't think so), desperate to be like you (not). Please, enlighten me! Childish...why because I think you state qualification any chance you get? And on cross the line, I have never called you out of your name, DICK, like you did. And no I will not stop replying to your posts, your on just as much as I am. Although, I will agree to a cease fire, so to speak.

Desparate to win a fight over the internet that you are simply not going to...childish because you start trying to be a bully when things dont go your way....enlightend yet? By the way what does "And on cross the line, I have never called you out of your name, DICK, like you did" mean exactly? I would respond...but dont know what the means exactly. and "no I will not stop replying to your posts, your on just as much as I am." leaves me a tad confused as well. I understand you wont stop replying to my posts and that is fine, I think mostly we butted heads over things that I simply should let alone. I find alot of the forums are filled with guys that tend to pick up muscle and fitness (this is NOT A POKE AT YOU...this is an explanation of my reasons for telling you my back ground) then start telling everyone how safe a specific suplament is or what kind of stack to take to get specific results.

Unless you have a specific education and have worked with others who are certified or licenced I dont think giving out advice on a subject as Dangerous as suplaments is a great idea. Saying "hey I took product X and it worked for me" is fine but when it starts to look clinicle it gets a bit sketchy. I remember the CLA stack issues that came up about ten years ago and how people were giving advice out to others about taking it and how it would ramp up their results...and it did...till some started to die! Or Phen Phen was another one.

You are probably a very nice guy with lots of sound advice, my only thing is that you get way to personal way to quick with others. and then you divert an argument by going after personal attacks. that is a weak debate strategy and shows your charactor...good or bad you decide, personally I dont care.

I will leave it at this, If you felt my telling you about being a AT and having worked with a big ball club and other athletes, haveing my B.ed and my Prev. Care of injuries degree was in some way me trying to stop the debate or toot my own horn, then so be it. I was simply saying that I had the education and the real world experience and yours thoughts might not be as accurate as they could be. I would have thought you might have asked a few questions or taken the debate a bit more serious, you didnt. If I started chatting about BJJ and Gurre chimed in with some post that countered my thinking I would A) research more and come back with a adult argument to his thinking or B) check out the fact that he actually knows way more than me and ask him a few questions! and if he said I was wrong I might feel a bit hurt (well not really I know jack about Jitsu right now) but I would then ask him to tell me why....not go off and say his posts are to long and take pot shots.

Oh, and if this post is to long, as I suspect you might think it is...Suck it up! :lol: And dont take it personal kid...its a internet forum!! :mrgreen:

Kensei

Postby qwerty » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:14 pm

Sorry for stepping over the thread but, Shadow, I just realized, you're from Stockton, CA, isn't that where Nate and Nick Diaz are from?
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to Supplements, Diet, Equipment & Weight Training