Login Sign Up

What is the recommended age to start MMA?

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, Forum Moderators

What is the recommended age to start MMA?

Postby Alexj » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:25 pm

I'm 15 and I was just wondering what the recommended age to start MMA is, because I was told you have to be 16+ by my local gym, does this apply everywhere? Instead of doing MMA now I've started doing Muay Thai, what should I do to move on from this and become better? Thanks for any help. :D
Alexj
White Belt
White Belt

Re: What is the recommended age to start MMA?

Postby Kensei » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:21 am

Alex,
Keep in mind that your growing and you dont want to damage any growth plates or hamper your growth and health in any way. I would go as far as saying you should be doing athletics until you are 17-19 then work on specifics. Work on keeping in shape and pushing some specifics like flexibility and endurance. Start with weights around 17 and some impact style fighting like Muay Thai around then. Then go into Judo/Jujitsu ext. To many young men start off their grappling and hard training at 14-15 and then get injuries that pull them out of training.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Re: What is the recommended age to start MMA?

Postby Kurt » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:47 am

I am soon 18 and started when i was about 16, so far i haven't gotten any severe injuries but what i realised was that most guys in my training were huge. I got my ass kicked a lot (still do) so I say that if you feel you are big enough just go for it, but be ready to take an ass whooping.
ohh my god...I dropped my pants!!
Kurt
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Return to MMA & NHB