Login Sign Up

What martial art does Kung Lee practice?

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

What martial art does Kung Lee practice?

Postby SakuRules » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:34 pm

I saw a guy on K-1 by the name of Kung Lee and I am not sure what type of MA he was practicing. He did a lot of leg sweeps and a type of scissor-kick take down. Was that Kung Fu?
SakuRules
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Gurre » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:02 am

I'm not sure, but I think it's some sort of Vietnamese kung fu, yes.
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:13 am

Are you two talking about Kato Kung Lee? If so he is Pro Wrestling. Or are you talking about Cung Le? If so he does San Shou.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Cung Le

Postby Tchernobog » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:40 am

I've seen Cung Le in a few San Shou fights - very impressive. He's fighting in K-1 too ? Cool.

I also hear he's fighting in MMA now - anyone have any info on this ?

BTW, I think San Shou is Chinese Kickboxing...maybe.
Tchernobog
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby SakuRules » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:14 am

You are right, it is Cung Lee, and it was a sort of exhibition match during a K-1 event.
SakuRules
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:28 pm

San Shou was developed by the People's Liberation Army of China in the 1960s, which was a decision of the Chinese government. Various traditional styles as well as old-style Lei tai fighting competitions were studied, and choices made from these were combined with modern insights to create San Shou. San Shou or Sanda, which means free fighting or free hand, is a modern Chinese hand to hand combat, self-defense system, and combat sport. It is composed of various aspects of traditional martial arts fighting styles in China. San Shou is composed of Quan fa (Kung fu), Qin na, boxing, kickboxing and Shuai jiao (Chinese form of wrestling). Sanda tournaments are one of the two sport wushu disciplines recognized by the International Wushu Federation.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby NitZR » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:45 pm

cung lee is a great fighter. he is a guy i would not like to see in a back alley!
NitZR
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby katokunglee » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:20 am

[quote="GrappleorWrestle"]Are you two talking about Kato Kung Lee? If so he is Pro Wrestling. Or are you talking about Cung Le? If so he does San Shou.[/quot

I am Kato Kung Lee and is true I am a Wresling, and I use Tae Kwen Do and Judo whith de wresling
reciban un cordial saludo de su amigo

KATO KUNG LEE
katokunglee
White Belt
White Belt

Postby geves » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:59 am

i'm pretty sure your talking about Cung Le

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/figh ... erID=14883

right?

AKA one of the most boring fighters to watch....EVER!!!

the dude is nasty and has some of the most accurate strikes i've ever seen. but jesus this guy could put Tom Arnold to sleep.

his K-1 fights would go like this:
1) try to slam...fail slam attempt...ref breaks it up.
2) repeat step one for 2 minutes of every round.
3) wow, that guy can strike.
4) repeat step 1
5) throw in that neat little scissor leg sweep
6) repeat step 1
7) win through scoring, because afer 5 failed slammed attempts, he gets 1

he seems to be doing ok in MMA though. even though his first fight was agianst someone with zero ground game.

don't let the image fool you, the fight was still boring.
geves
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Re: What martial art does Kung Lee practice?

Postby brandonl83 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:52 am

Most of you are crazy that you have not seen Lee fight MMA yet. He fought Frank Shamrock earlier this year and it was a TKO. He broke shamrocks forearm with one of those devestating kicks. He seems to lack ground game but intimidates fighters with unbeleivable speed and power with his upper body. No one has gotten past the stand up game to come even close to bringing him down. He might be the next big thing. 3-0
brandonl83
White Belt
White Belt

Postby fightDR » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:10 am

You are obviously very new here my friend, as if not you would realise we have spoken about Kung Lee in MMA. We spoke about his fight with Shamrock too, it's just he isn't exactly a major player yet as he hasn't done much. We will however mention him again I'm sure when he knocks on the MMA door again, hopefully soon and against someone worth while.
Love all mma, and big UFC fan but I do miss Pride.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby donovan99 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:33 am

Kung Lee or Cung Le?
Well, if its Cung Le that you guys are talking about, I heard he is about to sign with the UFC.
Hopefully his take down defense will keep his contracts fresh!
donovan99
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby fightDR » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:33 am

Well I take it he meant Cung Le just because of the refrence to the Frank Shamrock fight...he is a decent fighter with highlight reel kicks for sure. He is an incredible fighter but we have yet to see him face top notch elite MMA fighters like Hendo, Franklin and Anderson personally I want to...If The UFC did sign Cung I for sure would not be :( about it.
Love all mma, and big UFC fan but I do miss Pride.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu