Login Sign Up

what martial art should i take?

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

Postby thegaminboy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:26 pm

sweet now that i think about it bjj seems pretty cool (since the only kung fu school i have only teaches shaolin style.) which apparently isn't good for self defense
thegaminboy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby ablinkin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:02 am

Shaolin Kung Fu is a broad umbrella, there are many styles under that. reference (http://www.shaolin.com/styles_shaolin.aspx)

Any martial art can be great in the street, I have practiced TKD, Hung Gar Kung Fu, and now I practice Chi Lin Kung Fu. Chi Lin is far more direct and combat oriented, but all styles have their benefit. BJJ is great, generally only if one person is attacking you. I have never taken BJJ, so someone correct me if I am wrong, but submitting one guy while 3 others kick my lungs in doesnt sound very appealing. If you want to fight UFC, BJJ is the way to go, those guys rock in the ring.

I guess I would suggest sitting in on a couple classes at a few schools and see what you feel most comfortable with, in the end it is how you train not what you train!
------------------------------
When your hand is extended withdraw your anger,
When your anger is extended withdraw your hand.
ablinkin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

e

Postby khazar » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:00 pm

ur tottaly right, against multiple targets, any grappling MA suks.on 1vs1 its the best. as some ppl said, loo if its near u (th school) and also see the instructor and how are the classes. the price is important.about styles, if u can take 2, go bjj and striking.if u can only go 1, go striking.in striking Ma that IN MY OPINION are the best, are kickboxing, muay thai, and boxing (i dnt like the train of it, may cause brain damage later) and kyokushin karate.but if u cant take any of these, take karate or kempo or shaolin, any practicer of that will beat the hll of some1 with no training!bye
do it or don´t do it, there is no try...
khazar
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: what martial art should i take?

Postby Rossi » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:43 am

Kung fu TKD MT boxing all good for self defence
Rossi
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Rossi » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:44 am

also BJJ
Rossi
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:52 pm

Guys, no one style is perfect, some less so than others. I normally dont say do this style or that style, but I can say BJJ is great one on one in a controlled situation, in a back ally with two or more guys...kind of not what you want to be focusing on..."take him down...get head crushed by other guys". Not good.

TKD is okay if you are on a solid and not slippery flooring and not wearing tight jeans or fighting a guy that likes to fight in close! Oh, and it helps if the guy crumples when you hit him...."yah, jump spinning crecent kick, slip on ice after pants blow out and I get caught in mid air and dumped on my head by the wrestler..if I get that high to begin with or dont fracture my ass landing ont he ice".

Wrestling is good unless you are fighting a guy that can work off his back...or two or more guys. "...see BJJ issues".

Karate is great unless it is one on one and the guy is a great grappler and you get taken down..."nail him with reverse...ooops he ducked and I am on my ass...FUCK....*passing out from choke*".

Any style of fighting is great in a specific situation. the only way to protect yourself is to be very good at several aspects of self defense. Train in a stand up style and a grappling style. and hope and pray you are just going to be fighting a kid a school who does not have a gun, knife or three buddies to kick your ass. Anyone that says they have THE style to train in is afool or trying to see if you are a fool.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Kim » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:36 am

Similar question - what would you recommend for women to take as practical self defense?
Kim
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby mma fubar » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:39 am

if your looking for just self defense then go with krav maga all the way
American Fighter Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA
mma fubar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Asa87 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:35 am

erm, it depends on what level you want to defend yourself, put the attacker out of action, disable the guy, break the guys bones or kill him.
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:04 am

Okay, I am going to "chime" in a bit. If you are looking to defend yourself, pick a martial art, almost anyone will do and train your fucking ass off with major dedication.

Krav is okay, but far to often you find out the instructor took 4 week ends of seminars and no is teachign Krav. the BS thing is that they spent 5 years getting a 12 dan in TKD and now are looking to repackage their Kwoon/Dojang and are now offering up the "deadly art of Krav Maga" the BS thing again is that they barely understand it!

Most Krav gyms are BS so forget that, you would get more out of pumping weights and running than going to a "Krav-robics" class near you.

My biggest beef with Krav is that these punk ass kids with 5 years or less in a TMA are now pusing an art that says they will teach you how to defend against gun attacks or knife attacks....someone is going to get killed!

Personally I say that the best defense against a gun attack is another gun or simply not to be their! Grabbing a pistol when the safty is off is a great way to get your dumb ass shot up! I have seen the videos of the instructor disarming a attacker with a rubber gun and then saying this is how you do it....not with standing it is a RUBBER GUN! I want to see that guy pull that shit in an alley with two punks wanting to kill him for his $20! I would guess his hard work outs would make him look great in an oak box!

Seriously, you want to learn to defend yourself....Skip Krav, Skip the BS self defense courses that dont work and just eat up your money...might as well be getting mugged....Go to a Karate/Judo/Thai boxing/BJJ school and train your friggin ass off! Nuff Said!

Kensei

Postby reaper6 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:21 pm

if u want to learn how to defend yourself, learn submission wrestling, u need to have a good ground technique.
reaper6
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:44 am

I agree with Shadow here. you have to train in ground skills to aviod the carinal sin of going to the ground in a street fight. learn boxing, kick boxing or another stand up skill set and study a bit of ground fighting to learn what not to do and how to get up once taken down.

Kensei

Previous

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu