Login Sign Up

Where to begin? Fat, poor and small town.

Where to begin? Fat, poor and small town.

Postby mmafanboy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:48 am

Hey guys,

I will give my background and situation, then I will ask my questions for advice. Sorry for the long post.

I have small amounts of various training from my military and police career. I am 25 yoa and I love food. Not just any food, JUNK FOOD. I love anything fried, from fast food, or any type of chips. Ok so that is my first major weakness. My second major weakness, is working out.

I have always been forced to work out through the military or the police academy. Now that I am on my own and working, it is hard to get motivated and get my butt back in shape. Now my motivations to get back into shape are because I am concerned for my safety at work, my overall health and appearance. On top of that, I would love to compete in at least one fight sometime down the road.

When I was in the police academy we worked allot of grappling, Muay Thai and boxing drills/moves for our physical training and defensive tactics. I LOVED it. In all my life, I had never had soo much fun and enjoyment in my physical training workouts. I also greatly admire MMA athletes, I believe they are the best athletes in the world due to the demanding mental and physical skills required to compete in the sport.

Even if I don’t ever compete, I would love to train MMA and get in shape just for a better career and quality of life.

Now, my next hurdle, I don’t know where to start, despite all my researching and reading, I just don’t understand dieting, supplements and etc. Where do I start? HOW DO I START?

Also, I have no gyms in my area; the nearest gyms are about 3 hrs away. There is a local Karate school, but I am unsure what they teach but I get a feeling from the research I've done, it’s not that great of a school. I am soo fascinated by the techniques of Muay Thai and BJJ but I just don’t have the means to study them. Any advice or tips to train at home?

I really feel MMA is the best way for me to loose weight and get back in shape because it is something I am into and enjoy doing (when I have) plus it will help give me extra needed skills on the streets. Please guys, I ask for all the advice, information and recommendations you guys can give me to get me started. I have purchased a heavy bag for home and The Pit workout DVDs for when I am in better shape; I also hope to pick up Bas Ruttens set later on. Cheesy I know but I don’t know what else to do. Thanks in advance!

For TLDR crowd:
How to I start training MMA, when I have no access to any gyms and I am new to dieting etc.
mmafanboy
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Where to begin? Fat, poor and small town.

Postby Asa87 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:21 am

you don't particularly have to look into dieting and supplementing unless you're real serious, I'd take it easy to start with, shame there is no classes around you. Firstly does anyone share you interest? that is the best piece of equipment you could have - a training partner, great for joint workouts, pad work, motivation, sparring, rolling.

Another thing I'd recommend is a skipping rope, I wrote up a workout on this forum last year about a circuits workout I had made with minimal equipment.. hang on I'll go and find a link to it:

my-new-mma-circuit-workout-vt2261.html

Well there is some good excercises in there, hope you find some of that usefull.

As for diets, I don't have much to say on that, I don't know much about it but some of the guys on here know their stuff. Lean protein like chicken, fish etc slap sugary treats in the trash. meat and two veg all the way baby!!
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby mmafanboy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:20 pm

Well I have been hearing there is a crowd in my small town of MMA fans and I guess they get together and roll/spar. I might try to track them down and see if I could hook up with them. I've also heard of some law enforcement guys in a town about 15 mins away from me that meet and practice defensive tactics but incorperate grappling, boxing and MT skills. I guess a few of them actually compete in MMA and occasionaly they have a guest instructor. I may try to track them down and see about linking with them.

The Karate School in my town teaches Shudokan Karate Do. It just doesn't interest me and it is not a style I care to learn so I don't want to spend the money for it. I don't think it would benefit me very well for what I want do do/learn.

I know from experience and by reading that videos should be used as a tool but nothing compares to an instructor/partner to learn from. I have seen this http://www.muaythaihomestudy.com/ and was curious if I put together a training regiment using various videos like the muay thai, The Pit, Bas Ruttens workouts maybe find a BJJ video or something, plus adding workouts found online and trying to meet with one of the groups at least once a week (I think all that they meet). What do you guys think or suggest? I think that really is my only option. Of course I would LOVE to join an actual MMA gym but that is just not possible, which makes me sad. I don't plan to stay in this town for ever and I plan to move to bigger city that will offer me gyms but for the time being I want to create the best skills/training possible until that day comes where I can join an MMA train and really start training.

Again any advice, suggestions, information, etc is greatly appreciated

Thanks for the response Asa87, I will be hanging on to that circut
mmafanboy
White Belt
White Belt

Postby qwerty » Sat May 16, 2009 11:12 am

Shadow wrote:My diet from the following group:
Group 1 Protein Foods (Grams of Protein per serving) ( really watch your protein intake)
- Lean Steak 4 oz. (35 grams)
- Lean Ground Beef 4 oz. (28 grams)
- White Fish 4 oz. (25 grams)
- Chicken, preferably white meat 4 oz. (35 grams)
- Turkey, perferably white meat " "
- Egg whits, each (4 grams)

4 ounces!?!?!?! Oh hell NO, go at least 6oz (seafood) and 8oz (land animals)! :lol:
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby DisciplineHopes » Wed May 20, 2009 12:37 pm

since it was a late post ill take it into account seeing as i just joined so thanks for that info.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Return to Supplements, Diet, Equipment & Weight Training