Login Sign Up

Who is the best MMA Referee?

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, Forum Moderators

Who is the best MMA Referee?

Postby NitZR » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:37 am

Who is the best MMA Referee? Big jon, herb dean, just name them!
NitZR
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby stevebags » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:58 am

Big John Mcarthy is a mma referee legend
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."

http://www.myspace.com/stevebaggaley
stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby NitZR » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:01 pm

i know big john is the man but there are other who do good job aswell. like herb dean and steve masgati.
NitZR
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:48 am

They all do their job well, but BJM sticks out the most. He is the figurehead for the refs. Herb Dean is known to stop fights prematurely, while not bad it's still something people look down on. Steve is just Steve.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Gurre » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:34 am

Yuji Shimada
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby andrewjonez » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:38 pm

MARIO YAMAZAKI AND BIG JOHN
andrewjonez
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby NitZR » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:17 am

mario has a good read on all matches he does. Herb deean drops the ball alot.
NitZR
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby stevebags » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:06 am

masagati is pretty consistent
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."

http://www.myspace.com/stevebaggaley
stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:43 am

Yeah. I like him, but there's something about him that I can't explain and it bothers me. So when do you think BJM is going to retire?
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: Who is the best MMA Referee?

Postby Kensei » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Because I know you all want to know what I think of the refsm, here is a list of the top MMA Refs and what I think of them.

"Big" John McCarthy : The best their is, was and the the person that all the refs should look to for training...The Mr. Miyagi of MMA refing. So many good things to say and so little time. :P

Cecil Peoples : Goofy ass ref that does some strange ass stuff. Best attributes is he stays the fuck out of the way during fights....probably scared to break a hip. Should have stayed with boxing...or tiddly winks.

Dan Miragliotta : Dan is a major cronny for the companies. He is not bias he is a screw up and a big ass one at that. He is not the worst Ref ever but really I have seen his refing of the Kimbo fights ext and he is one crooked fuck! Yes, the James Thompson fight vs Kimbo needed stopping....WHEN KIMBO WAS DOING NOTHING against Thompson and was plastered to the ground getting a british ass rape! Friggin guy is a joke.

Herb Dean : Next to BJM he is one of the better in ring refs. Yes he had a rough time but he basically cleaned it up and learned what it was like to be a good ref. He also is a fighter...not a great one but he may be one of the few that said he has done it in the past. Dont like him personally, needs to keep it in his pants, and his hair often stirs up laughter in the house, but he is better than mazza-screw up!

Josh Rosenthal :Trys hard and is getting better.

Kevin Mulhall : For a newbie he is not a bad ref. He seems to be fair and trys to do his best. I think he could be a main line ref at some time.

Mario Yamasaki: Not a bad ref. he put up with a lashing from Matt "arse hole" Hughes a few times but he is actually a good ref that may have to work on his reaction time. But really he is fair and does not call favs. that I have seen.

Nelson 'Doc' Hamilton: Great ref, for the shuffle board at the old age home. Dude should have retired YEARS ago. He was one of the originals, but that does not make him the best. The friggin stone was the original projectile weapon...we now have M16-A1s like BJM to go to.

Steve Mazzagatti: ONE OF THE WORST IF NOT THE WORST. He is consistant...consistantly horrible. He stops fights early, late, for no reason...sometimes I think it is because he has to pee and needs an out! HORRIBLE!!!!

Troy Waugh : Waugh is a great ref. He put an end to the Kimbo train clearly when he realized Kimbo had been KO'd by a tap on the chin. Not a bad ref, some hate him for being a bit of an ass, but clearly he is trying every night.

Yuji Shamada: Shamada is a great Japanese Ref who also has some questionable calls, but not as many as the US. He normally will let a fight go a tad to long.

Yves Lavigne : Highly under rated Ref. He works hard and is only guilty of a few crap calls....granted they were bad ones but not as bad as Mazzagatti! His biggest issue is that he looses his confidence if he makes a questionable call, he needs ot shake it off and keep going.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Re: Who is the best MMA Referee?

Postby DisciplineHopes » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:49 am

Shadow wrote:Does women's mud wrestling count?

if not it should!
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Return to MMA & NHB