Login Sign Up

Wrestling or BJJ first?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wrestling or BJJ first?

Postby High kick = Nap time » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:37 pm

Heya folks. I'm new to these boards, but not new to fighting. Some of you will know me from the stand up section. I have extensive training in TKD and Kempo, and am well versed in Muay Thai and boxing. Where I am very weak is my ground game. I have an excellent sprawl, but when I'm taken down by a skilled wrestler or JJ man I'm really out of my element. Recently I just started BJJ, but I was wondering if any of you more experienced in ground fighting had an opinion on whether it's best to start BJJ or Wrestling first. Or if it even matters if one is learned first. I have won enough tourneys in TKD, only a few in Kempo (Kempo is not a tourney sport, it's almost ONLY for self defense/killing people)

A few clubs in town do "tough man" type contests and the only people that have beaten me are submission grapplers. However as Tank Abbot used to say "Even when I lose I go home and have a beer and the "Winner" goes to the hospital". Well that's all well and good but I've been choked unconscious twice now, and was in an armbar and I was a bit to stubborn to tap untill I recieved a borderline Grade 3 Elbow Sprain (meaning I had partial tearing of the ligament, and severe instability, a full grade 3 is a complete tear and severe instability, another second or so and I woulda been @ a grade 3) I'm sick of beatin the shit outta these guys only to be taken down and lose >_< I want to seriously start training for a future in MMA. Without good ground skills that's nothing more than a pipe dream. Any and all helpfull advice is welcomed. Thanks.
...Ill crack your fucking head wide open in front of everybody. And just about the time when I'm coming out of jail...hOpefully...you'll be coming out of your coma. And guess what, Ill split your fucking head open again.
High kick = Nap time
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby stevebags » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:17 pm

this isnt probably the answer you are looking for but i would do both if i could, they compliment each other
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."

http://www.myspace.com/stevebaggaley
stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby High kick = Nap time » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:23 pm

I fully intend to do both, I just can't afford to do both at the same time is all. It seems to me from my limited knowledge of BJJ that it takes longer to reach a truly skilled level since it generally takes around 8 years to earn your black belt. So maybe wrestling would be better to do first since it seems that BJJ will take longer and require more practice. I wouldn't even konw where to begin for wrestling as it seems that it's mostly a high school and collegiate sport.
...Ill crack your fucking head wide open in front of everybody. And just about the time when I'm coming out of jail...hOpefully...you'll be coming out of your coma. And guess what, Ill split your fucking head open again.
High kick = Nap time
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby JimmysEgo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:47 pm

like you, i was strictly stand up until last year when i started BJJ. best thing i ever did. boosted my confidence 1000%. even my little knowledge on the ground is a lot better than nothing. at least i sort of know whats going on down there. i can see what someone else is trying to do soon enough so i can defend against it.
JimmysEgo
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby ad baculam » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:00 pm

If your a striker I think either one would work just so long as you focus on getting what you want out of them. For example, if you want to continue to sprawl and brawl, you are looking to get improved takedown defense, be able to sweep and change posistion on the ground efficently (so you can stand back up) and avoid the submission. Both arts have methods of doing all of the things listed, the only advantage either one has is that wrestling probably has better takedown defense, and BJJ has better gaurd sweeps
ad baculam
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:39 pm

Since you have trained in standup mostly I would start with wrestling. Not only will you learn how to take your opponent down, but most importantly you will learn takedown defense to keep the fight standing up. Then if you ever start BJJ wrestling will give you a good base to start from.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby High kick = Nap time » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:08 pm

The problem is everywhere that I've looked in town is training for that bullshit WWF type of stuff. I don't wanna learn how to do a Superplex off the top rope LoL.

I wonder if there is anywhere in my area that teaches wrestling besides high schools and universities.
High kick = Nap time
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby kungfuvanity » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:03 pm

Im kind a late but where do you live?
Guro Bryan P. Daly
Secretary General
World Kali Silat Society
kungfuvanity
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby kungfuvanity » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:04 pm

And have you tried looking for a place the teaches Combat Submission Wrestling?
Guro Bryan P. Daly
Secretary General
World Kali Silat Society
kungfuvanity
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby High kick = Nap time » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:05 pm

North Florida, and no.
High kick = Nap time
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby kungfuvanity » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:16 pm

How close are you to Jupiter FLA?
Guro Bryan P. Daly
Secretary General
World Kali Silat Society
kungfuvanity
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby High kick = Nap time » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:27 pm

Um. . . I'm in Tallahassee, I've never heard of Jupiter. That's gotta be some tiny lil town.
High kick = Nap time
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby High kick = Nap time » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:29 pm

OK I just looked it up, and I'm probably about 400 miles from Jupiter LoL, thanks for taking the time to look for some schools for me though.

Edit: Yes, according to Mapquest.com it's 400.52 miles and 5 hours and 57 mintues from Tallahassee to Jupiter. Just a BIIIIIT to far =P
High kick = Nap time
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby kungfuvanity » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:50 pm

Jupiter is the HQ of the International ShootFighting Association. Look it up, and also look up erikpaulson.com. You can send an email to erik@erikpaulson.com and see if there is a school near you. you can also google Russian Sambo and see if there is a school near you. I will check with the American Sambo Associatiom and see if they have a school around there.
Guro Bryan P. Daly
Secretary General
World Kali Silat Society
kungfuvanity
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby JimmysEgo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:57 pm

The Jupiter Hammerheads!!!!
JimmysEgo
Red Belt
Red Belt

Next