Login Sign Up

Your First Spar?

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

Your First Spar?

Postby jakece » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:03 am

I just started muay thai and was told I will not spar for 6-8 months. I am curious if this is a normal period of time to wait and when your first time sparring was?
jakece
White Belt
White Belt

Postby jmath679 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:11 am

I do not see any reason why you should wait that long. I think that haveing an instructional mode spar is really helpful. Especially if you have never really fought before, it can really help you getting a good stance down and is wonderful for ACTUALLY applying your striking/kicking or whatever you are doing. That being said, if it is a rule or understanding at your dojo that you dont spar for that long then I'd abide by that.
jmath679
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby geves » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:11 am

generally in styles such as boxing or muay thai. fighters are generally encouraged not to enter the ring until they have a firm grasp of the basics of striking, footwork, evasion, ect..

it's actually not uncommon to be enrolled in a gym for over a year. without ever getting in the ring.

of course it'll vary from gym to gym. there's not really a rule of thumb for this sort of thing. it's all based on what your instructor says & how he see's your progression.

but to answer your question. no it's not unussual.

in fact i would be more surprised and weiry (sp?) if they made you spar within a few weeks.

good luck jakece.
geves
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:00 am

geves is correct. It usually varies from gym/dojo to gym/dojo. It's usually up to the instructor; when he thinks you are ready he will let you spar.

Remember there are also different types of sparring. You have point and light contact, full contact, and so on. Not to mention sparring is different than actually being in the ring and fighting.

So all in all, your instructor will let you know when it's time.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby jmath679 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:06 am

Yeah, in my previous comment, I was not referring to actual ring fights where the outcome matter. I was thinking of a more instrucation/application of techniques. I love katas and any charts you can do, but there is something to be said for actually doing that stuff to a real person.
jmath679
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:42 pm

I think jmath had to wait 8 weeks before he even sparred. Before that we did charts, katas, application of katas, and bag work. After this he was able to spar. We did all this to improve his technique. All dojos/gyms will have their own way of doing this.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby icedtea69 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:12 pm

I had to wait about 6-7 weeks before I was approached about sparring
icedtea69
Brown(1) Belt
Brown(1) Belt

Postby soldierboi187 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:27 am

there is no real right and wrong in the time you must wait before you see action although they both have thier drawbacks if you jump in the ring too soon you will be more occupied on not getting your ass kicked rather than keeping good form while waiting too long you risk loosing interest and being too happy to finnaly be in the ring that you dont pay attention to what you are doing every instructor has his or er reasons of thier time frame and you should ask them and if they say it will be most likely 8 months before you see a ring it is for the best
soldierboi187
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby stevebags » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:53 pm

i cant see a problem with sparring after a few weeks as long as its controlled and with partners that are better and know what they are doing. but only spar for about 2-3 mins at first
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."

http://www.myspace.com/stevebaggaley
stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby icedtea69 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:41 pm

I think it depends soley on you :wink:
icedtea69
Brown(1) Belt
Brown(1) Belt

Postby malaclypse » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:48 am

My first spar was the first time I joined my clucb.

It was also the first time I got home with an injury. :-D
LMFM: Lean Mean Fat Machine
malaclypse
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:24 am

In less traditional arts like Muay thai I have seen that they pretty much spar after the first few classes. Maybe the instructor is really focusing on basic techniques and making sure you are ready...That does sound a lot like a more traditional martial art however.

James

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Kouch » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:52 pm

wow, 6-8 months just to wait for a sparring match...thats dumb. i went to my first open tournament within 4 months of first starting my martial arts.
Dont think...React and Execute.
Kouch
White Belt
White Belt

Postby icedtea69 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:53 pm

Yeah like I said earlier it took about 6-7 weeks for me. It just depends.
icedtea69
Brown(1) Belt
Brown(1) Belt

Postby FightbacK » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:29 pm

Hi Jake,

My first sparring was the first time I went to my first MA school - a semi-contact kickboxing club when I was 18. I guess for SC they feel it is safer to start straight away as contact is light, though different branches of the same club saw the sparing go full-contact frequently.

I first went up against this huge asian guy and I was filling my silky full-contact pants with natures finest fertiliser. It bored the hell out of him and I think he was glad to move to another partner, but I felt great after and then i was charged up. I'm not proud to say, I often went too hard on some people and this did not win friends, and maybe this forms part of your schools thinking.

Bests

FightbacK
FightbacK
White Belt
White Belt

Next

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu