Login Sign Up

Billionaire Mark Cuban wants in on Fedor Emelianenko

Moderators: Sub-Zero, Forum Moderators

Billionaire Mark Cuban wants in on Fedor Emelianenko

Postby Sub-Zero » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:54 pm

Quoteworthy [from Cuban]:

“I am in ongoing discussions with some of his people. I plan on making a significant investment in MMA with the goal of promoting it as a professional sport with professional athletes. There is no reason that a fighter in an undercard match should be treated any differently than how I treat our players on the Mavs. We would work with his promoters to place him in fights from affiliated promoters or in fights we promote ourselves. It’s the highest rated sports programming by far [on HDNet]. Our MMA programming on HDNet beats networks that have five times or more the carriage that we do. So it’s been a big winner for us and we expect it to get even better.”

– This situation continues to get even more bizarre. The billionaire owner of the NBA Dallas Mavericks, Mark Cuban, has now thrown is hat into the ring for the services of PRIDE FC Heavyweight Champion, Fedor Emelianenko. He would like to include the Russian “to fill the weekly quota of bouts HDNet would need for its successful Friday Fight Night series.” Ugh.
Sub-Zero
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:51 pm

yah, but is this real or just a hype thing for Cuban??

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby qwerty » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:10 pm

geez! I thought Dancing with the Stars was going to keep him occupied for a while...
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kuark » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:20 pm

This is a good thing to me because Cuban will be a hell of alot better than Dana White for mma. He is the kind of guy who will actually give a shit about the fighters and hopefully will be more promoting of the sport itself rather than just his single organization. Obviously he will be wanting to make a profit but he has no need to do this other than love of the sport since not only is he a billionaire but he still makes a very large amount of money off the mavs and his yahoo stock.

In other words he has more money than he could spend in this life time so to me that is saying he really cares about the sport and wants to be involved in making it better to put together his own org.
Kuark
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby qwerty » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Maybe he will buy out UFC from the brothers...
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kuark » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:57 pm

qwerty wrote:Maybe he will buy out UFC from the brothers...

Then we will have what we have now one org/man who owns the mainstream sport. The point I am making is we need diversity because what happens when a very talented fighter pisses off the owner and he is pretty much fucked since there arent any other mainstream orgs to go to.
Kuark
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby qwerty » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:20 pm

Kuark wrote:
qwerty wrote:Maybe he will buy out UFC from the brothers...

Then we will have what we have now one org/man who owns the mainstream sport. The point I am making is we need diversity because what happens when a very talented fighter pisses off the owner and he is pretty much fucked since there arent any other mainstream orgs to go to.

Poor Babalu... where is he going to go to now? Maybe join the IFL... Damn, that's sad.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:51 am

the issue I have with Cuban throwing himself in the mix is that he tends to flake on things that dont keep his attention long enough. A while back he had a reality Tv show that he said would kill trumps and take out the others on its way to the top. It ran one season and he said at the end he was not interested enough to continue. Half way threw the series he started to flake and the ratings tanked.
I worry he looses interest with new toys way to quick!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Return to News