Login Sign Up

K-1 USA is about to hold open tryouts

Moderators: Sub-Zero, Forum Moderators

K-1 USA is about to hold open tryouts

Postby Gurre » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:06 am

K-1, the world’s premiere martial arts fight promotion, will host its fourth-ever Open Tryout for both stand- up fighting and mixed martial arts competitors at Las Vegas, Nevada’s Bellagio on Friday, August 11th and Saturday, August 12th, the day of its “Battle at Bellagio” mega-card.

The two-day trial period will be open to all fighters in all weight classes and will serve as a means of recruiting new blood not only for K-1’s stand-up fighting circuit, but also for its mixed martial arts fight cards

.“It’s the opportunity of a lifetime for anyone looking to do this for a living and make a name for themselves in the sport,” said 25-year-old Patrick Barry, a graduate of the first open tryout in K-1 history, held at the Bellagio in August 2004. Barry, a powerful heavyweight Muay Thai striker, has since seen action in K-1 events staged in both Japan and Las Vegas, including April 29th’s “Mayhem At Mirage II,” where he battled Russia’s Alexandre Pitchkounov in a tournament reserve contest. “The tryouts really helped launch my career with K-1. Before that, I was just kind of floating around and looking for a window that would lead to a shot in the big-time. It’s a great feeling now to know that people 18,000 miles away know my name.” The April 29th card in Las Vegas also hosted the debut of another K-1 tryout veteran, Dan Green. In 2005, Green, a former amateur boxer and kickboxer from Utah, was simply a number amongst over 100 contestants vying for a place with the fight promotion.

Tryout participants will partake in various exercises that test a wide array of skills including speed, power, coordination, flexibility, and knowledge of the sport. They will also engage in modified sparring sessions with one another.

K-1 USA Fight Coordinator Sven Bean will oversee and direct all activities during the two-day trial period. A group of judges as well as executives from K-1 Japan and K-1 USA will observe the tryouts and make recruiting decisions. Judges of past K-1 open fighter tryouts have included legendary K-1 competitor Sam Greco as well as three-time K-1 tournament champion, Michael McDonald, and 2005 K- 1 World Grand Prix Hawaii champion, “Big Daddy” Gary Goodridge. Those who wish to register for the tryout should contact Mr. Bean via email at beanz4@msn.com or should fax a request for an official tryout application to 303-400-1756. Candidates will be required to make their own arrangements for travel and stay in Las Vegas during the tryout period.

K-1 will supply all boxing gloves and headgear for the tryouts. Participants will be required to bring their own shorts and protective equipment including a groin protector, a mouthpiece, and shin guards.

K-1 “Battle at Bellagio” Tournament on Saturday, August 12th
Two-time K-1 tournament champion, Alexey “The Scorpion” Ignashov, will attempt to become the next martial arts fight king of North America when he makes his debut in the United States during K- 1 “Battle At Bellagio,” K-1’s eighth anniversary mega- card that will take place at Bellagio in Las Vegas Saturday, Aug. 12. The 28-year-old native of Belarus will be joined in the event’s eight-man, single- elimination contest by three-time Las Vegas K-1 tournament champion Michael “The Black Sniper” McDonald and 2003 K-1 USA champion, Carter Williams. .

Tickets for K-1 “Battle at Bellagio,” priced at $300, $200, $100 and $50, go on sale Friday, June 30 at noon and will be available for purchase at Bellagio’s box office or by calling 888-488-7111

About K-1

K-1 is a martial arts fighting sport that derives its name from its inclusion of a wide array of combat disciplines, including Karate, Kung-Fu, and Kickboxing (“K”), and its intent to determine one champion in one ring (“1”). After being staged for the first time in Japan in 1993 under the direction of founder Master Kazuyoshi Ishii, it later evolved into the country’s most popular sport and achieved popular culture status there as its athletes turned into larger-than- life celebrities.

Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NitZR » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:44 pm

Sweet that sound awesome. If i were in shape i would totally go and try out.
NitZR
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby donovan99 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:53 am

True - I was wondering if this is what I've been watching on cable - they call it - KARATE
(Comcast on Demand) LOL
Last edited by donovan99 on Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
donovan99
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Jimmything08 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:03 am

Wow Thsi is so old lol
"Sorry, but I just got punched in the head by a giant russian with a tatoo of a Grim Reaper holding a baby"-Josh Barnett
Jimmything08
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Return to News