Login Sign Up

Mark Coleman

Talk about the fighters here.

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, stevebags, Gurre

Re: Mark Coleman

Postby fightDR » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:01 am

Rua looked pooh and showed NOTHING in his fight with Coleman. He looked sloppy, out of shape and showed less heart than Kalib 'The Running Man' Starnes did against Nate Quarry.
Coleman is 44 years old came in as good shape as he could, give 100%, showed heart and looked good while his cardio held up.
IMO Coleman gained more by losing than Shogun did in winning. Rua looked good with his finishing combo but that was it.

Was the stppage justified or was it a little early??? I am on the fence with this!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Asa87 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:39 pm

nah I think it was justified stoppage, it was about 5 punches in a row with 2 after that thunderous uppercut, he was out of it in my opinion.
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby qwerty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:02 am

The stoppage was justified but I expected Coleman's corner to light a fucking fire in his ass and let him know it's 20 or so seconds left in the round! Well, he gain some fans after the fight and definitely still has my respect - he'll definitely be back!
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kurt » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:46 am

I think the stoppage was totally justified, he took punch after punch on the chin and he was basically done after that uppercut. He is to old, he will probably never be in a better shape and his cardio will only get worse, if he gets into the octagon again he will have to pray to god that he doesn't get to fight someone who actually is in shape...
Kurt
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:32 am

I think that Coleman earned more respect from me in that losing endevour than Rua did by wininning it. Was the stoppage good, hell yah! Coleman was puss punched and knock kneed by that combo that put him on queer street! The Ref stepped in and stopped it and I am fine with that. Could he have let it go, yah! Coleman is one of those "Rocky" guys that does not mind getting beaten up a bit. Would it have changed the out come...maybe! IF coleman had gotten a single out of it and held on for 30 seconds or even grabbed two and ended up laying on him for the time it took for the fight to have ended...well with these judges you never know. I actually think up to that point coleman was ahead on points in some of their books. Personally I think the first and second round were very close and I could have seen it going to Coleman in some peoples books, even if he looked Gassed, so did Rua!

Basically If I were Joe Silva I could see me pitting some of the less skilled/experienced guys against Coleman for a good fight, Rua....stunk up the joint and should be forced to fight guys like Anderson Silva when he ventures north of the Middle weight blubber level! I think that guys like Rua give PRIDE fighters bad names!
Kensei

Postby Kurt » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:39 am

Yeah I agree with you Kensei and to be honest I think that coleman would have destroyed rua if he only would be able to give him one nice ground and pound and at one point he actually had the chance to do so but the only problem was that he got to winded to fight back and get him to the ground again. All I am saying is that he is 44 years old, if you guys want to see him get his ass kicked again I understand but I think that we will see piggs fly before he enters the octagon and wins another fight. Time to realise fact, Mark Colemans days as a UFC fighter are over.
Kurt
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby qwerty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:34 am

If Coleman can take you down he can still beat you at 44 IMO. If he improves his conditioning and not cut so much weigh, he can do damage in the 205. I actually wouldn't mind the rubber match but it looks like RUA will get Liddell next.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:02 pm

I wouldn't mind a rubber match either, it would be good for both men IMO. Rua has the chance to right the wrong of just and Coleman has chance of redemption. Coleman could finish Rua I believe and after the display Shogun put on I would love to see The Hammer dish out some G & P old school style.

As for Rua, I hope Chuck batters him senseless and lays on a KO to remember...and I am not even a Chuck fan.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Asa87 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:24 pm

Hey I'm not too well trained in Jitsu, But the Omoplata looked finish-able to me, what was up with Rua not pulling himself forward and getting the sub, to me he looked like he was in a strong omoplata position and could have finished it at his will, but like I say I'm no expert in Jitsu yet.
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:43 am

Coleman suffered from a common issue, LHW build and body, HW gas tank! Look at Vera when he dropped weight he looked physically better but still did not have the gas! Strange thing is most of the HW guys dont need that much of a gas tank because they basically prop themselves up on the other guy for three rounds. Guys like Mir and Nog and some of the higher end guys win a lot of fights simply by being more conditioned.

Personally i did not see anything wrong with that 44 year olds performance, Yes he gassed but so did the 20-30 something Rua! Rua only had youth on this side, Coleman had heart and he did a good job. I have alot more respect for the Older guy that lost than the younger guy that won!
Kensei

Postby qwerty » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:36 am

[quote="Kensei"]Coleman had heart and he did a good job. I have alot more respect for the Older guy that lost than the younger guy that won![/quote]

Damn you sound so OLD!!!! but I agree with you, Coleman, don't drop to 205, stay at HW and fight Couture!
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:31 pm

Well he has left it to late to change weight classes now, his body hasn't done it before and at 44 it's bad timing. I was shouting for Coleman to beat Rua and even in Losing Coleman got me as one of his fans. If I am ever going to be a Rua fan he will need to put on an epic performance showing more than he ever has. Even in Pride I didn't really like him much (even though I respected his skills) and now I like him much less.
Would like to see Coleman have 1 more fight maybe a HW fight against herring...just spit balling.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Previous

Return to Fighters