Login Sign Up

GSP vs. Jon Fitch *SPOILERS*

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, Forum Moderators

Postby fightDR » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:05 am

The next big test for GSP should and really has to be Penn after what they said after he beat Fitch. However I do have some sympathy for Thiago Alves as he has had some real good wins recently and he looks fantastic. Kensei is right he is a much different fighter since he lost to Fitch and does deserve his shot.
After his next win, if he does win it then he should be inline to face whoever is the WW title holder.
However lets keep an eye out for Swick if he gets 2 more good wins under his belt.
Sanchez and Karo both need good dominant wins to get a look in, but Hughes and Serra for me are both wel out of the title hunt!!!

However Adding Condit and Gono to the Mix would be awesome!!! I like it.
Love all mma, and big UFC fan but I do miss Pride.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:52 am

Has anyone seen vids or pics of Gomi lately? He is huge. He may not be fighting at LW any more....=)

That's just picking at him being bigger than he was, but who knows?
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:02 am

Sung Whan Pang is supposed to be fighting Gomi at light weight at Sengoku IV in on the 24th. So I would think it is a possibility that he is putting the McSushi down and getting back to fighting weight.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby fightDR » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:23 am

McSushi, damn that sounds rank lol. I think he will get back to LW and would be hell on wheels for all there too!
Maybe after a fight or 2 we would know if he would be ready for Penn as he is know :?:
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:58 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpKEXNaiYC8

I think you can see him in this video.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby qwerty » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:54 pm

Diego Sanchez Vs. Thiago Alves fights Oct 25th. Winner should get a title shot.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:54 am

qwerty wrote:Diego Sanchez Vs. Thiago Alves fights Oct 25th. Winner should get a title shot.

I definatly got toagree with that, I gotta say though I will have an element of sympathy for Kos if Sanchez wins and gets a shot!
But the winner of them to should definatly be next inline to the potential thrown of the WW division.

Although I like Diego's fight style and always enjoy his fights (fight with Kos exempt) I will however be hoping Thiago Alves wins. But will expect a real good fight :!:
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby qwerty » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:06 am

GSP already ran KOS over. GSP actually out wrestled KOS... he hasn't fought Alves or Sanchez and if Sanchez does beat Alves, he totally would deserve a title shot becuase I don't see that happening. :)

Speaking of GSP - could he be the best lb 4 lb fighter right now?

He has fought only ranked fighters - 8 in a row - lossing only once to Serra:

Check it out in this order:
Sherk #10 LW (fought at 170)
BJ Penn #1 LW (fought at 170)
Hughes #7
Koscheck #2
Hughes #7
Serra #8
Fitch #3

You cannot say the same thing to Fedor or A. Silva. Not only did he defeat his opposition, he dominated most of them and use their bread and butter against them.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:51 am

Well he is definatly a contender for the best lb 4 lb best fighter in the UFC and prob the world but I would have to say that Anderson would get the Nod.

The loss to serra probably is a big difference maker, I know he avenged it in great fashion but he lost it all the same.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:29 am

I think P4P ratings are crap anyways. i dont think anyone person can say they are with out a doubt the best...arguments can be made against it anyway you look at it.

Kensei

Postby fightDR » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:01 am

Of course that is the case, I mean just look at the HW division. You can win 10 top fights in a row and a LHW could win 5 top fights in a row. There aren't 10 top HW fighters so most of that means sod all but you beat the top 5 LHW's and Holy Shit you are the man :lol:
OK that is me being a little mean but you all know what I am saying, I hope!

I agree that it's impossible to tell butit's easy enough to say who deserves to be in the running for such a title.
SOME of the top guys not all would be...
Anderson Silva, BJ Penn, GSP, Urijah Faber and Kid Yamamoto battling it out for the 145lb honour I would even add Machida as he looks amazing. I am sure I have missed a few but they are a few of the top dogs off the top of my head.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:12 am

fightDR wrote:Anderson Silva, BJ Penn, GSP, Urijah Faber and Kid Yamamoto battling it out for the 145lb honour I would even add Machida as he looks amazing.

think it is better to say who are the top three in each division. Yes, A. Silva is good and GSP is too. Penn is great and Yamamoto fantastic, Machida is good and so is Fedor and randy and.......

But some have had a lack of challenge in their last four fights, some dont have the challenge in the division at all. That is why the P4P is bullshit. I mean Fedor is an amazing fighter...in a division that is filled with C level fighters and maybe three or four B/A level guys. Having walked threw the top three fighters he is great, but who cares if he is the king of a mediocre division...and by the way...that is not his fault.
I have issues saying that GSP or Silva are better than Fedor is simply because we can not properly test a guys skills with the opposition available to him at the time. I would say Fedor is the P4P best untestable fighter at this point. other than that I think that the P4P rating is crap!

Kensei

Postby fightDR » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:47 am

Yes I agree with that, hence the reason I made the point about the HW divison. I mean how do you test a guys skill and talent if he hasn't got anyone to push him to that level! So I understand totally why they really don't mean that much on the larger scale. I'm not talking bout them as they matter hence the reason the guys I mentioned earlier were all in different weight classes. As all a fighter can do is dominate his weight class and take on all challenges.

The pound for pound rankings don't tell us anything as it doesn't say who they have fought. It is this simple to be the best you have to beat the best and like already stated Fedor doesn't have the best to fight anymore! It's just important that all top fighters in a division face and beat top ranked fighters to stay with the Elite fighters!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby qwerty » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:28 pm

challenge? perhaps they are just dominant that they are no challenges for them. That is why you see some fighters shifting weight classes.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:45 pm

I dont agree. Yes, guys like Silva move because they lack challenge...but Vera moved because he was not set up physically to take on the big guys. Penn is just a freak, but the HW division is about as deep as a puddle.

Kensei

PreviousNext

Return to MMA & NHB