Login Sign Up

How to make clases more fun

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How to make clases more fun

Postby daniel » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:34 am

How can i as an instruktur make clases more interesting? What, in general, are missing?
daniel
White Belt
White Belt

Postby JimmysEgo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:19 am

students that want to learn would be a plus.

are they complaining about being bored in class? please give more detail because i would love to help, i just dont understand how class could not be interesting.
JimmysEgo
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby daniel » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:13 am

I have really good students. Interested and with high learning abilities.

I will define my question.

All you fighters out there. What do You want more of? I try do give my students a lot of variarity in training. I try do give them moves that they can use in their game and sometimes more dificult stuff for fun. And i hope, and think, I do it good. My guestion was general, i want to get more input and to get a wider view of what what you want more of so that i can improve my self as an instruktor.
daniel
White Belt
White Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:49 am

daniel wrote:I have really good students. Interested and with high learning abilities.

I will define my question.

All you fighters out there. What do You want more of? I try do give my students a lot of variarity in training. I try do give them moves that they can use in their game and sometimes more dificult stuff for fun. And i hope, and think, I do it good. My guestion was general, i want to get more input and to get a wider view of what what you want more of so that i can improve my self as an instruktor.

Well can you give us more detail on how your classes go? I know when I go to class I like how my instructor does group training, then allows us to break up into what we want/need to train next. While we are training he will come around and give us pointers/tips and work with us. Plus if he thinks something is important he will call the whole class back together. But occasionally the entire class will train together. I like how he constantly challenges us with new techniques/moves and how he helps us improve the techniques we currently use.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Gurre » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:32 am

Daniel, you would become a better instructor when a certain tall white belt with 2 stripes who sticks his arms out way too much taps you! :P

haha jokes aside, I tihnk the training is very versitile, we get what we need in our game and we have chances to give input and adjust the training. Specially during the saturday sessions. But still, we could work a bit more on the throws and the takedowns if you ask me.

Daniel is my coach, this is how a general class goes down:

We split up in pairs and drill a few techniques. I don't think that we get to train more then 4 during an hour.

For the last half an hour of training we sparr in 5 minute fights where we start on the matt. After the time is out we switch opponant.
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stevebags » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:23 pm

We split up in pairs and drill a few techniques. I don't think that we get to train more then 4 during an hour.

For the last half an hour of training we sparr in 5 minute fights where we start on the matt. After the time is out we switch opponant.[/quote]

thats what we do at Carlsons and i like that but we spar for 6 min rounds as most BJJ comps are that duration and at the end of a session. Another class i go to is very informal and most of the lesson is based on what techniques we want to work and we all pick 1 or 2 each, it breaks the class up and everyone benefits
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."

http://www.myspace.com/stevebaggaley
stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Gurre » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:08 am

the round length varys. The fights for white belts are 5 minutes long, so we've done 6 minute rounds too.
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:46 am

Gurre wrote:the round length varys. The fights for white belts are 5 minutes long, so we've done 6 minute rounds too.

Is this the length of your sparring rounds? Because that is about the length of our sparring rounds during Karate class, but during grappling class we have 2-3 minute rounds.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Gurre » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:57 am

yeah, that's the length of our sparring rounds.
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:25 am

While we are speaking of how we have class I have a few questions of my own. I have been trying to find some new ideas for grappling class. A few new drills and grapple/wrestle off ideas. So any that you all could provide would be great.
- E. Cates

- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Gurre » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:57 am

I bet Daniel can give you some drills LOL! :D Unless they are some secret Brasa stuff that only we Brasa people know.... kinda of on a need to know basis stuff! :P
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:07 pm

Gurre wrote:I bet Daniel can give you some drills LOL! :D Unless they are some secret Brasa stuff that only we Brasa people know.... kinda of on a need to know basis stuff! :P

Well I need to know...I like learning anything new that will help. So Daniel can you help?
- E. Cates

- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby daniel » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:49 am

Hi!
I dont know what level you´r on but a good way to find new drills and subs are to watch instruction videos. You can by them, or download them.

But remeber... its useless to know 1000 subs if you can´t take a position and hold it. Thats were you need to start.

I teach only a few subs to my students. The subs comes natural when they manage to pass the guard and to hold the positions.

When I see that they have a good guard game or game based on passing the guard, thats when i show them subs.

Start with the basics, in a stressed situation thats what works.
daniel
White Belt
White Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:45 am

We have a few drills that teach that help with the basics. But what we seem to like to do is this:

1st: If it is a new student

A. That wants to jump right into grappling by all means we let them. Usually after their first round they are ready to stop or already have. Then we go on to showing them the positions.

B. If they want to learn the positions before they grapple for the first time we show them. We will show them every position; Neutral/Stand up to when you are clinched, to Guard, to Mount, to Side Mount, to Scarf, to North-South, and then we show them Back Mount/Rear Mount. Then we usually let them try each out.

Then we have a few drills that get them associated with each position respectively.
- E. Cates

- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby stevebags » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:31 am

GrappleorWrestle wrote:
Gurre wrote:the round length varys. The fights for white belts are 5 minutes long, so we've done 6 minute rounds too.

Is this the length of your sparring rounds? Because that is about the length of our sparring rounds during Karate class, but during grappling class we have 2-3 minute rounds.

2-3 minute rds imo arent long enough it could take longer than that to get a good position. 5-6 mins are better
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."

http://www.myspace.com/stevebaggaley
stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to BJJ, Judo, Submission Wrestling & Wrestling