Login Sign Up

Rich Franklin vs. Matt Hamill*SPOILERS*

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, Forum Moderators

Rich Franklin vs. Matt Hamill*SPOILERS*

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Discuss:
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:40 am

Franklin looked good at 205 but I was shocked that Hamill did not grapple more.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Asa87 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:50 am

what was it? a kick in the liver?

i seen a bad quality vid with no sound.
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:12 pm

Yes, it was a hard kick too. I heard it all the way up in my seat.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby qwerty » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:17 pm

Hamill played Franklin's style. He wanted to stand up with him LOL! Anyway, I wonder what it sounded like when Franklin kicked Hamill in the nuts!
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:46 am

I got to say Rich looked great, at 205 or 185 the guy is an awesome fighter and is more than a match for anybody. So I don't know where his future lays but he will be a top ranked fighter in any of them.

As for Hamill, the guy is obviously tough but why doesn't he grapple more. He has awesome wrestling and when the stand up wasn't working why didn't he go to his primary weapon. He was being beaten up and didn't change tactics so the better man won simple as...bad tactics from Hamill.

As for the Kick that finished it...Damn what a beauty! As for the 1 to the balls...Damn ouch!!!
Love all mma, and big UFC fan but I do miss Pride.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Tchernobog » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:12 am

Rich looks great at 205, though I have some doubts on whether he can handle the top 205 fighters. Matt's strategy was obviously flawed in trying to strike with Rich and he payed for it. Nice win for Rich.
Tchernobog
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby fightDR » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:34 am

I do think he could probably hang with most WM's skill wise and he is not that small at even 205lbs. Whether he could handle the Wanda, Rampage or Thiago Silva not sure only time will tell. I believe he could hang with them, not sure about beating them. He has already fought 1 of the toughest LHW's around in Machida and may not have won but looked ok.

A good interesting fight would be Rich Vs. Soku, but that might just be me.

As for Hamill, back to the gym to strategise.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:26 am

Hamill could not shoot in after the second round or half way threw because rich beat up his legs.

Kensei

Postby fightDR » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:23 am

Kensei wrote:Hamill could not shoot in after the second round or half way threw because rich beat up his legs.

The dumb sod should never have tried to stand with him so long...it was bloody daft. He is a wrestler and should have stuck to his strengths.

Who do you think Hamil should next fight guys??? I would like to see him fight Soku, think it would be interesting fight and tough for both guys. Maybe even Jardine would be a good one.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:30 am

fightDR wrote:
The dumb sod should never have tried to stand with him so long...it was bloody daft. He is a wrestler and should have stuck to his strengths.

Who do you think Hamil should next fight guys??? I would like to see him fight Soku, think it would be interesting fight and tough for both guys. Maybe even Jardine would be a good one.

The Ironic part is that he tried to do EXACTLY what Rashad did.....Rashad and Matt are both wrestlers, both fighting strikers and both tried to stand....One did well and the other did not.

Hamill should be looking more at guys like Reese Andy, Tim Boetsch, Andre Gusmao and maybe James Irvin over guys that can kill him! :wink:

He is a developing fighter, not a B level guy quit yet and he should be raised in the MMA world not tossed to the lions. I was kind of shocked that they put him against Rich, but they needed a "soft" server for Riches first MMA LW Lunch in the UFC.

I am starting to like Matt as a fighter, and that means I dont want to see him tossed curve balls when he is just coming of T-Ball!

Kensei

Postby qwerty » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:26 am

I tell you what went wrong... seriously, Matt Hamill's new girl errr fiance is SMOKING HOT (not Patricia Mikula hot but hot) - the one you can take home to mom! She has that nice girl next door appeal and what's really good is that she can listen and talk! AMAZING!

qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:34 am

a bit young for me...but YOWZA!

Kensei

Postby fightDR » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:08 am

Well my girlfriend is sitting with me right now looking over my shoulder so I will add simply this...she is ok!!! :lol: will add the rest later, only joking love!!!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Dannytsg » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:13 pm

Got to say that Franklin looked good but he said that his next move is to put on some more muscle to help him hold his own a bit more against the 205'ers.

I thought he did very well in executing a game plan against someone he new was a top notch caliber wrestler but again i think Hamill fell into the same rut of trying to prove he isn't just a takedown, ground and pound fighter which made him want to stand which lead to his demise.

Franklin was looking to open Hamill up all night in using those legs kicks and nice simple combination's and in the end it paid off and there seemed to be some serious floating rib damage to Hamill from that well placed body kick.

Whats next for Franklin? Does he go on to fight someone like Keith Jardine who hasn't had such a great time lately or maybe Houston Alexander or doe he focus on the lower ranked 205'ers in the UFC then try to knock off the top competition.
Fighting is a hit and miss game. Are you prepared to pay the price if you miss?
Dannytsg
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Next

Return to MMA & NHB